birding-aus

Upper Lane Cover River Valley - S Turramurra area

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Upper Lane Cover River Valley - S Turramurra area
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 04:30:45 +0000
Tom,
I have spent a few days around Christmas at my inlaws at Pennant Hills
(Blackbutt avenue) just near Pennant Hills park and upper Lane Cove NP. The
weather hasn't been great for walking but I am back in a few days and I will
probably head down the same way around New Years.
I regularly (though not every trip) see Gang Gangs around their house - the
native nursery is just around the corner. This trip I think I have heard gang
gangs a couple of times (though difficult amongst the many sulphur-cresteds)
but I also don't pay much attention as I get them in my backyard at this time
of year in Albury as well.
I will let you know once I return if the are definitely about.
Cheers,
Peter

> Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:41:28 +1100
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Upper Lane Cover River Valley - S Turramurra area
>
> Hi all
> I spent from 7-9am walking parts of the Great North Walk and STEP track in
> the Upper Lane Cove Valley this morning (20 December). Highlight was a single
> Bassian Thrush seen foraging in the Great North Walk just north of Browns
> Waterhole approx 8:30am.  There were lost of Scarlet Honeyeaters along the
> track as well as 3 Rufous Fantails and the more common species that I'd
> expect to see.  A colony of Bell Miners has taken up residence in the area
> around Browns Waterhole, which is new since my last visit (some time in 2014
> admittedly).  There were no Gang-gangs seen or heard – although it is
> entirely possible that the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos drowned out anything
> else as they were particularly loud this morning.  Are there still a small
> number of Gang-gangs resident in the upper Lane Cove Valley or if I want to
> get one on my 2015 list do I need to go a bit further afield?
> Cheers
> Tom Wilson
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list