birding-aus

Boxing Day Needletails

To: "" <>
Subject: Boxing Day Needletails
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 04:36:57 +0000
Mike and other swift watchers
Got my first sightings for the summer of small flocks of white-throated
Needletails at two locations
Hornsby aquatic centre 16:30 about 30 birds slowly circling (probably the
slowest I have ever seen them doing fluttery flight) for about five minutes
before heading of to the north east. Cloudy but little wind
Paynes Crossing (about halfway between Wollombi and Broke in the hunter) 17:40
about 40 birds circling for nearly half an hour, doing much more typical
flights (often low enough to hear them whistle through - love that sound).
Weather again cloudy but still (front came through early this morning). Was
setting up a tent and was alerted to their presence by a pair of glossy black
cockatoos flying over (the call made me look up!)
In both flocks pairs seemed to be already chasing each other which seemed quite
early.
Cheers,
Peter

<HR>