birding-aus

Woodswallows on the coast of Cairns a month or so ago...???

To: Ian Sinclair <>, Dominic Funnell <>
Subject: Woodswallows on the coast of Cairns a month or so ago...???
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 20:44:36 +1030
Thanks Ian & Dominic,

I figure I was pretty lucky to have these Masked & White-browed WS here over
the beach at Trinity Beach that morning a few weeks back because they have
definitely not been back here since - such numbers of these typically inland
species, especially so on the east coast of Qld, was a remarkable sight indeed
above the palm trees & sea!!

Black-faced WS are not an uncommon bird well behind the coastal ranges here
from say around Mt Carbine, but for Andy Anderson & others to see big numbers
of them much further east towards the coast & just in behind the coastal ranges
is significant.
Andy's record up here of some Black-faced WS in a mixed flock with the other 2
inland species would have been quite a sight too - even though his does happen
further inland much more commonly.
I was never doubting Andy's observation of this mixed flock, or his ID of
Black-faced - I was just checking that that was actually what was reported.

you have got to love the Wet Tropics!!!

cheers,
martin cachard.
trinity beach, cairns