birding-aus

Re Grass wrens and Fairy Wrens

To: Graeme Chapman <>
Subject: Re Grass wrens and Fairy Wrens
From: Andrew Browne <>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 16:16:29 +0930
Hi Graeme
Emailing from Glen Helen NT before ascending Mt Sonder very early tomorrow
morning to watch the sunrise.
After reading the most recent Birdlife Mag article on Grasswrens I decided in
my central and northern Australia trips each southern winter to add Grasswrens
to my must photograph list.
You may remember you sent me some info on the Black Grasswren in the Mitchell
Falls locality for a trip I'm starting in July.
Thought I'd start easy with the Grasswrens and locate and photograph the Dusky
around Alice Springs before walking the Larapinta Trail. Not so easy.....lucked
out at Mt Gillen twice then also at Simpsons Gap.
However, in my trekking along the Larapinta I've come across four colonies of
the Duskys  on the trail edge and am happy as I've managed to get some shots of
each! Just a pity they like living in Spinifex areas and I'm wearing shorts and
only had ankle gaiters.
Whilst not as colourful as the Fairy Wrens, they've beautiful in their own
right. I look forward to the hopefully photographing the other eleven?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew Browne
PO Box 545