birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 29 Sep 2014 07:02:05 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 28 Sep 2014.

   Sun 28 Sep White-winged chough Ford Park, Bellfield
   I first saw this single bird at this site on wednesday the 24th. I am
   surprised it is still there. It seems reasonably relaxed, allowing
   approach to about 10 metres. As can be seen from the photo it is a bit
   tatty. I wonder where it has come from.
   Ruth Minifie.
   Sat 27 Sep Painted Honeyeater Warby-Ovens National Park--Killawarra
   Forest
   At least one pair near waterhole past entrance in SE cnr of park
   -36.23186, 146.22687
   Tom Tarrant, Brett Lane
   Fri 26 Sep Yellow Tufted Honeyeater, Swift Parrot Chiltern-Mt Pilot
   National Park--Cyanide Dam
   At least two Yellow Tufted Honeyeaters present, chasing Red Wattlebird
   near Cyanide Dam. Two Swift Parrots landed in a nearby tree - amidst an
   Olive Backed Oriole and several Noisy Friarbirds.
   Andrew Williams
   Rainbow Bee-eater Indigo Valley
   Quite early for this neck of the woods. Visiting friends just south of
   the national park adjacent to the Chiltern Yackandandah Road when a
   single bird flew over head.
   Matt Weeks
   Beach Stone-Curlew Screw Creek, Inverloch, Victoria
   The Beach Stone-Curlew is still present at the Screw Creek outlet in
   Inverloch. Seen this morning from 7:15am at low tide.
   Andrew Allen
   Swift Parrots Sunbury
   Five birds seen flying between flowering Yellow Gums in the Kismet
   Estate (off Aldridge Drive) area. Also observed foraging on flowers of
   the gums. Low numbers have been present throughout the winter months.
   Gerard O'Neill
   Thu 25 Sep Rufous Whistler, Baillons Crake Western Treatment Plant
   (Werribee)
   Single male at Borrow Pits - not a bird I have seen very often at the
   WTP since the closure of Farm Rd. Also 2 Baillon's Crake at T-Section
   pond 4.
   Dave Torr, Christine Shelley, Bruce and Judy from USA
   Lathams Snipe,Lewins Rail and Australian Spotted Crake Liverpool rd
   Retarding Basin Kilsyth Sth
   Observed 2 Lathams Snipe identified rail and Crake from calls.Also
   observed White Necked Heron stand motionless for 10 mins before
   striking out and catching very large frog
   Des Palmer
   Tue 23 Sep Black-faced Woodswallow Point Danger
   Fiona Parkin and I had a single Black-faced Woodswallow hawking insects
   at Point Danger, Portland. This to my knowledge is a first for the
   Portland District. Cape Gannet was also present in the gannetry and
   White-bellied Sea Eagle over Lawrence Rocks.
   Robert Farnes
   Mon 22 Sep Turquoise Parrot, Painted Honeyeater, Rose Robin, Speckled
   Warbler Chiltern National Park
   Quite a few Turquoise Parrots throughout the Park. A calling Painted
   Honeyeater and a female Rose Robin, both initially pointed out by Rob
   Drummond, along with a pair of Speckled Warblers were at Bartley's
   Block.
   Chris and Rosemary Lester
   Banded Stilt (12), Brolga (2), Pink-eared Duck (60) Green Hill Lake
   Highlights were 12 Banded Stilts, about 60 Pink-eared Ducks, and 2
   Brolgas. Also Red-necked Avocets, Sharp-tailed Sandpipers (possibly a
   couple of Pectorals-will need to confirm), Red-kneed, Red-capped and
   Black-fronted Dotterels.
   Tristan Kennedy
   Sun 21 Sep Square-tailed Kite Private block, Clunes
   Four of us were held enraptured by fantastic views of a low, soaring
   Square-tailed Kite which landed several times in a large gum on the
   perimeter of the property. Hopefully scoping nesting sites! This was
   the first time seen here however we have seen one at distance near
   Dunach.
   Michael Gooch
   Powerful Owl, Crested Bellbird, Spot. Quail-thrush, Square-tail Kite,
   Diamond Firetail, 5 Cuckoo sp. Newstead area and Muckleford State
   Forest
   Wonderful box-ironbark Spring birding over the course of the weekend
   around Newstead visiting several sites including Muckleford SF and Rise
   & Shine Bushland Reserve. Highlights include Powerful Owl family of 2
   adults and 2 young beside the Loddon, Crested Bellbird in MSF, Spotted
   Quail-thrush on Plunketts Rd, 2 Square-tailed Kite at nest in MSF,
   Diamond Firetail at Rise & Shine BR. Black-eared Cuckoo heard along
   Plunketts Rd and seen at Rise & Shine BR. Cuckoos (Pallid, Horsfield's,
   Shining and Fan-tailed) heard and/or seen at most spots, all 5 in a
   short period on Plunketts Rd. Australian Owlet-Nightjar seen in MSF.
   Jackson Airey and members of the RFNC Inc. Spring camp-out
   Square-tailed Kite Hattah-Kulkyne National Park--Old Calder Hwy
   A particularly resplendent adult Square-tailed Kite soaring low over
   the mallee mid-morning as we left the area, near Warepil Lookout. Also
   had a pair of Striated Grasswren and three parties of Mallee Emu-wren
   along Nowingi and Konardin Tracks, heaps of other birds about and
   beautiful spring weather.
   Steve Davidson - The Melbourne Birder
   Cattle Egret Dandenong Creek Trail, 100m north of Jells Park
   About 30 Cattle Egret, some in breeding plumage feeding hungrily around
   cattle. Area is about 100 metres from the bridge as you leave Jells
   Park heading north on the Dandenong Creek Trail. First I have spotted
   this season.
   Wendy McWilliams
   Sat 20 Sep Banded Stilts, Red-necked Avocets and Red-necked Stints
   Moolap Salt Pans [old Cheetham Salt Works]
   On Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st AM a large flock of Banded Stilts
   [765] and Red-necked Avocets [665] were observed resting and feeding on
   salt pans adjacent to Portarlington Rd. Similarly on Sunday on an
   adjacent pond Red-necked Stints [350] were seen arriving from N
   direction and commenced vigorously feeding. This area is on private
   land and presently subject to a major commercial and residential
   proposal. This important wader habitat can be viewed from the rear of
   the pump house situated on Portarlington Rd just east of the CSIRO main
   entrance way. [scope and hand counter used in bird count ]
   David Tytherleigh and John Newman
   Grey Butcherbird J J Holland Park , Kensington
   single bird seen in trees close to park entrance at corner of Childers
   and Ormond Streets. I have seen singles of this species at this spot
   twice before but many months apart so thought sighting may be of
   interest to local birders.
   David A Richardson
   Thu 18 Sep Short-tailed Shearwater Pt Addis
   First returns of a small number of Short-tailed Shearwater off Pt Addis
   this morning.
   Steve Davidson - The Melbourne Birder
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list