birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 15 Sep 2014 08:30:49 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 14 Sep 2014.

   Sun 14 Sep Black-eared Cuckoo Mount Arapiles-Tooan State Park--Mt.
   Arapiles
   Following up earlier report. Heard then seen along left side of Summit
   Road, a few hundred metres west of the C240. Awesome views while it
   perched.
   James Mustafa, Owen Lishmund
   Banded Lapwing (8). Williams Landing 3027.
   At 1730 hours, I observed four adult Banded Lapwings and four juveniles
   in a large grassed paddock east of Palmers Road (between Williams
   Landing Boulevard and Freya Drive). The four juveniles were with an
   adult pair and the two other adult birds appeared to be a pair.
   Peter Gibbons.
   Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater Travancore Park, Travancore
   A single Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater calling from the top of a Plane Tree
   adjacent to the Park. Flew off east in the direction of Royal Park.
   Very uncommon.
   Chris and Rosemary Lester
   Sat 13 Sep Cape Gannet Point Danger
   Single Cape Gannet located amongst the hundreds of Australasian
   Gannet's in the colony at Point Danger. Spent a lot of time huddled
   down (partnerless) but darker area around the eye still prominent and
   clearly different from Aus Gannets. Long gular stripe clearly seen when
   the bird lifted it's head up for a look around. Lighter iris also
   observed. Cape Gannet and colony was observed through scopes from
   outside the fence.
   James Mustafa, Owen Lishmund, Tony Bischoff and Rob Farnes
   Curlew Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Latham's Snipe, White-winged
   Triller Boomahnoomoonah Road Wetland (Yarrawonga)
   A Curlew Sandpiper was seen actively feeding in the middle of the
   wetland with a small flock of 4 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, in
   non-breeding plumage. My first ever record in NE Victoria and probably
   the only record in many years with no records on eBird or Birdata for
   NE Victoria either. Also spring returns of a Latham's Snipe and two
   male White-winged Trillers.
   Michael Ramsey
   Black-eared Cuckoo Plunkett's Rd, Newstead
   Multiple birds calling mid-afternoon along with Pallid, Fan-tailed,
   Shining and Horsfield's bronze-cuckoos.
   Geoff Park
   Fri 12 Sep White-fronted Honeyeater Skipton
   In blossoming plum tree in garden in Skipton, observed from close by,
   poor photo taken (attached) before it was chased off into a neighbours
   yard, heard singing for 10 minutes or so.
   Tristan Kennedy
   Straw-necked Ibis, White Ibis MacLeod Morass Wildlife Reserve,
   Bairnsdale
   Large rookery approx 24 ha, with ibis nesting in reedbeds near northern
   end of Morass. Provisional estimate 11,000 to 20,000 birds, mostly
   Straw-necked Ibis; proportion incubating not determined. Rookery site
   shifts from year to year; this is an earlier start to breeding than
   most years.
   Chris Healey, BirdLife East Gippsland
   Freckled Duck MacLeod Morass Wildlife Reserve, Bairnsdale
   9 Freckled Duck in company with small numbers of Black Duck, Chestnut
   Teal and Grey Teal. Also Aus Spotted Crake, Aus Reed-warbler.
   Chris Healey, BirdLife East Gippsland
   White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike, Black-winged Stilt and Red-kneed Dotterel
   Woodlands Historic Park
   1 lone bird in a flock with Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes, was singled out
   and as the black-faced flew this bird stayed behind giving us great
   extended views, many pictures and even was rewarded with its beautiful
   call. A cracking bird for this area. The Stilts and Red-kneed Dotterel
   were found down at the large dam in south east corner, 3 new birds for
   the park for a day out...
   Philip Peel and Matt Mccrae
   Wed 10 Sep Black-eared Cuckoo Mount Arapiles
   Two birds calling on Circuit Track near Summit Road, one seen well.
   Also seen on this track were several Shy Heathwrens, Gilbert's
   Whistlers, White-winged Trillers, White-fronted Honeyeaters and a
   Peregrine Falcon.
   Richard and Margaret Alcorn
   Tue 9 Sep Noisy Friarbird Newry, East Gippsland
   Not sure if they are common here or not, but haven't seen one here
   before and it was suggested I report it here. Coming in to eat the
   nectar in the Nectarine Blossom.
   Debbie Radde
   Mon 8 Sep White-headed pigeon Karbeethong (Mallacoota)
   I first saw this species here during a visit in May 2014. On this trip
   I have seen 1-3 on each of the last 4 days. This morning I observed 3
   in a tree near the intersection of Karbeethong Avenue and Lakeside
   Drive. One bird was doing a bobbing DIsplay followed by putting a wing
   over its target bird. About 40 minutes later and about 1km away I saw
   another bird carrying a twig into dense garden plantings. So they seem
   to be breeding.
   Martin Butterfield
   Sun 7 Sep 33 Latham's Snipe 'Golden Pond', Peterbough,
   this is a small wetland on the western edge of Peterborough, named
   Golden Pond by members of BirdLife Warrnambool (all visible birds where
   counted by Peter Barrand through his telescope)
   Samantha Greiner + all on the Cross Boarder Camp Out at Warrnambool
   Square-tailed Kite Hanging Rock
   An adult being swooped repeatedly by a vociferous Australian Magpie as
   it flew from south to north over the upper section of Hanging Rock at
   1515 hours.
   Charles Silveira
   Gould's Petrel, Killer Whale BirdLife Australia Portland Pelagic
   Despite what turned out to be a very quiet day on the water for pelagic
   seabirds, we still had a couple of highlights. There were 2 Gould's
   Petrels observed on the way out to the shelf and a pod of 4-5 Killer
   Whales out past the shelf. We are still looking at the identity of a
   juvenile albatross, which might be a Grey-headed or a Black-browed.
   Otherwise, a day of small species numbers and low numbers of birds
   overall.
   Chris Lester, Paul Dodd, Tim Bawden et al
   Sat 6 Sep Yellow-faced Honeyeater - migration Merri Estuary--Rutledges
   Cutting, Kelly Swamp and Saltwater Swamp
   we saw 5-10 small flocks (around 16 in each group but up to 20 birds in
   one flock) at this location and again at the Killarney Sports Ground,
   they flew from the west along the dunes system towards the east and
   Warrnambool
   Samantha Greiner + all on the Cross Boarder Camp Out at Warrnambool
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>