birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 8 Sep 2014 07:45:23 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 7 Sep 2014.

   Sun 7 Sep White-winged Triller Long Forest Nature Conservation Reserve
   One male on Steep Track.
   Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson
   Painted Honeyeater Newstead township
   Calling at 10am this morning - first return.
   Geoff Park
   Sat 6 Sep Beautiful Firetail Bunyip State Park--Buttongrass Walk
   Also a pair of Bassian Thrushes, a female Olive Whistler, a pair of
   Wedge-tailed Eagles and several White-eared honeyeaters.
   Stephan Megroz
   Swift Parrot Moonee Ponds Creek (near Fanny Street) in Moonee Ponds
   A single Swift Parrot in the eucalypts around the park near Fanny
   Street next to the Moonee Ponds Creek in Moonee Ponds.
   Chris and Rosemary Lester
   Fri 5 Sep Rosy-faced Lovebird (Peach-faced Lovebird) Bentleigh East
   I heard an unusual psittacine call emanating from a plane tree,
   subsequent investigation revealed a Peach-faced Lovebird perched in the
   outer branches. Natural colours but obviously an escapee. It flew away
   strongly.
   Lewis Hiller
   Thu 4 Sep Freckled Duck Braeside Park
   A pair of Freckled Ducks seen swimming in the water in front of the
   Bird Hide. Also present on or near the water was Hardhead, Grey and
   Chestnut Teal, Coot, Black Duck, White-faced Heron, Australasian
   Darter, Purple Swamphen, Little Pied Cormorant and Pelicans. Swamp
   Harrier and Whistling Kite seen flying overhead.
   Leonie Proudfoot
   Wed 3 Sep Grey Goshawk Cape Otway Rd
   Brett Roberts
   Eastern Curlew Anderson Inlet, Inverloch.
   60 + feeding at low tide, west of Mahers Landing
   Deb Crosby
   Tue 2 Sep Freckled Duck GDF Suez Hazelwood Morwell River Wetlands,
   Morwell
   One Freckled Duck, a very unexpected sighting in the Latrobe Region,
   also an Australian Shoveler (male) and a Mallard (hybrid?). Great
   viewing of a perched adult White-bellied Sea Eagle and an immature in
   flight.
   Alix Williams with the Latrobe Valley Field Naturalists' Bird Group
   Mon 1 Sep White-winged chough Royal Park, Parkville
   The lone chough spotted again
   Chris Nicholson
   Latham's Snipe, Freckled Duck Mill Park Lakes Wetlands
   A solitary Latham's Snipe at the edge of the water; my first for this
   season. Also around 12 Freckled Duck; I have seen Freckled Duck here on
   every visit this year.
   Richard Arnold
   Sun 31 Aug Red-browed Treecreeper, Brown Gerygone Wilsons Promontory
   National Park--Lilly Pilly Gully
   1 RB Treecreeper seen and heard in Damp Forest - listed in 4 habitat
   types old WP National Park bird book by Roy Cooper (1975) but recorded
   very infrequently in Birdata. At least 7 BGs seen or heard in
   rainforest and adjacent densely shrubbed Damp Forest - they appear to
   be very well settled at the Prom.
   George Appleby
   Swift Parrot Gilpin Park, Brunswick
   Still present - possibly 5 birds.
   Alan Crawford
   Freckled Duck Blue Waters Lake Reserve, Ocean Grove
   25-30 Freckled Ducks were observed roosting around a large willow tree.
   Brett Ferguson
   Sat 30 Aug Lewin's Rail Royal Botanic Gardens (Cranbourne)
   Heard calling beside the main access road while I was driving from the
   Australian garden to the Stringybark picnic ground. I stopped and
   walked back, hearing it calling again.
   Jackson Airey
   Grey-Tailed Tattler (possible, confirmation needed) Altona Coastal Park
   Not 100% sure about my identification - bird was partially hidden
   behind rocks and quite far away. Bird was located along Racecourse
   Road, to the left of the 'bridge' above the Kororoit Creek. Would love
   to hear about any other possible IDs for this bird. [Mod note: this
   record needs confirmation i.e. the bird is most likely a Common
   Sandpiper, a similar species regalarly recorded at this site. ]
   Nick Koutoulis
   Eurasian Tree Sparrows and New Holland Honeyeater Alice Street, Coburg
   My second sighting of a New Holland Honeyeater in Coburg in six years
   living here. This one was in a suburban front yard near the corner with
   Victoria street. Eurasian Tree Sparrows are regularly at this location
   including one this morning.
   Nick Talbot
   Fri 29 Aug Rainbow Lorikeet Alexandra
   4 birds along UT Creek and around Lekie Park - a new Alex bird for me.
   Matt Weeks
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>