birding-aus

Some of Queensland's birds under threat

To: "Tom Tarrant" <>, "Lloyd Nielsen" <>
Subject: Some of Queensland's birds under threat
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 13:19:08 +1000
Greetings,

Lloyd starts off his well thought through article by talking about Tumoulin. I include a bit more information for those interested. My main issue with any logging in this forest is not that they will take the 'habitat trees', as they will be protected, but that we are already missing an age class or two of potential den trees. For over thirty years (but not every year) some of us have been raking around the old scarred den trees to protect them from fire. If the tall gums are harvested it will be another fifty years or more before we have replacement trees for those which are now on their last legs. Some have fire scars you can easily walk into and one could be a stall for a giraffe, it is so damaged. If we loose the Yellow-bellied Gliders out of this forest we will loose the little gliders too as they are now dependant on the Y-b Gliders to open up the feed trees for sap. This is due to changes to the forest due to logging, grazing, improved access for weeds and the changed fire regimes. Lantana has almost totally replaced small acacias.

"The reality is that cutting down 100-year-old trees won't continue and we've got to gear businesses to process plantation-grown material," said Queensland Timber chief executive Rod McInnes. "Our future is in plantations and on private land." according to a Courier Mail 2006 report. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/end-to-logging-planned/story-e6freoof-1111112306643

Wildlife Queensland have this offering:- http://www.wildlife.org.au/conservation/issues/2013/yellow-belliedglider.html

The Tablelands National Parks Volunteers have been working in this forest for a few years now monitoring the gliders and now the vegetation and the birds. https://sites.google.com/site/tnpvols/programs they have produced some great little pamphlets on the forest and I'll see if they can be accessed electronically.

Regards,
Alan

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road