birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 17 Mar 2014 03:02:02 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 16 Mar 2014.

Sat 15 Mar Sooty Owl (Lesser - Tyto multipunctata) Lake Morris (Copperlode Dam) Cairns
Found during a very pleasant evening of night birding. We were dive-bombed within a foot or so, probably by this bird, before locating it. It seemed as interested in us as we were in it. Never would have been found if I didn't have my mate the master birder with me, leading the hunt.
Paul Newman and Del Richards

Little Kingfisher Centenary Lakes
One bird watched fishing along the northern arm of the freshwater lake.
Nick Leseberg and Andrew Dawson

Fri 14 Mar Eastern Yellow Wagtail Tinaburra Boat Ramp, Lake Tinaroo
Firstly, thanks to Peter Tuck, Alan Gillanders and others for releasing info. 14 birds counted. Extremely difficult to approach, hiding in knee length grass, flushing when approached (v. cautiously) as far away as 50 metres. Apart from the bird photographed at about 40 metres I did not manage to accurately identify any of the other individuals.
Paul Newman

Thu 13 Mar Eastern Yellow Wagtail Lake Tinaroo foreshore
Near the mouth of Peterson Creek with Lake Tinaroo; flock of 8 seen; larger numbers seen previously by Peter Tuck, Alan Gillanders and Steve Murphy. Weather overcast but dry. Requires approach by kayak with sightings from the water but also possible to stalk along shoreline. Birds flighty and often take off, sometimes circle high and return; other times land a little further away. Subspecies probably tschutschensis but possibly also taivana. The flock appears to have been present for a number of weeks.
Peter Valentine and Peter Tuck

Tue 11 Mar Sooty Tern Evans Landing (Weipa)
Single bird observed flying around near the boat ramp in the late afternoon. Subsequently found roosting on the pilot boat after dark, placed on the jetty where it spent the night. (Moderator Note: - Reference Pizzey and Knight ed.9 - Sooty Tern occurs coastally after Cyclones)
Ben Bright

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.