birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 24 Feb 2014 03:02:31 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 23 Feb 2014.

Mon 17 Feb Long-billed Corella Fairley Street Redlynch Valley
Not native to this area. Flock of 4. (Moderator Note:- There has been a feral population of Long-billed Corella in Cairns for many years (20+ that I know of). They have been seen breeding at the southern treatment works at Woree. I've also seen them feeding in cut cane fields in Freshwater with Sulphur-crested Cockatoo. It is interesting to know that they are still around the area and surviving well. Not sure how they arrived but my guess would be that they were let loose by a pet shop who could not sell them, this happened in the early 80's when I lived in Darwin. It is interesting to know how many are around and if their numbers increase, they are aggressive and dominant so they may have to be trapped if the numbers get out of hand).
Dorte Colja

Tue 4 Feb Lesser Frigatebird Mareeba Rubbish Tip
It was just before 5pm, I was taking some timber waste to the dump when as I glanced around at the dozens of Black Kites I noticed a very differently shaped bird harassing some of them, even before I grabbed for the camera I knew it was a Frigatebird, and the photo confirmed it to be a Lesser! and it had to be at the rubbish tip too! It didn't stay above me for very long, a minute or two, before it started gracefully flapping to the west with some Black Kite.
Enoch Bultreys

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.