birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 16 Dec 2013 03:03:07 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 15 Dec 2013.

Sun 15 Dec Australian Koel Half Moon Bay
Fine morning with light cloud cover. Observations as clifftop only. Australian Koel heard calling in the scrub at top Cerberus Carpark for about 10 minutes then caught only a glimpse of it flying off. I know this call well as it is a summer resident at my home in Brisbane. Also checked it with Morcombe eGuide at the time..
Julie Sarna (1190)

Sun 15 Dec Eastern Koel Ricketts Point, Beaumaris
heard and seen travelling along the foreshore from Dalgetty Rd towards Reserve Rd. bad photo taken with pocket digital
Kim Croker

Sat 14 Dec Common Koel Strathmore
Another one in Melbourne suburbia - heard calling 6.00 - 7.30 am this morning. I managed (unusually) to sleep through the regular Red Wattlebird "dawn chorus" today, only to be rudely awakened by this instead.
Trevor Manley

Common Koel Hochkins Ridge Flora Reserve North Croydon
Bird heard calling at approx 8.00AM.
Emma & Will Bridgeman per Ian Macartney

Fri 13 Dec Common Koel Newborough
Male calling form nearby trees in the urban area of Newborough (near Moe). Stayed long enough for an ID by call and limited visual. Certainly not common in this area.
Alix Williams

Black Honeyeaters Boort Cemetery
In Excess of 20 birds at the back of the cemetery. Easiest place to find them walk in the main gate then head to the right back corner of the cemetery
Greg and Janice McKay

Thu 12 Dec Turquoise Parrot Bunyip State Park
Pleasant sunny day. Highlight was sighting of Turquoise Parrots on Towt Road. Turquoise Parrot (3) Flew from the edge of Towt Road, just near Hakea Track. Well seen perched in eucalypt.
Ian Miles

Thu 12 Dec Singing Honeyeater Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Calling in a small eucalypt near pond 25.
Ian Wilson & Stephen Wilson

Common Koel Surrey Hills/Mont Albert
Common Koel calling at 1.40 am! Noisy b*#%!
John Nicholson

Wed 11 Dec Rufous Fantail Valley Reserve, Mount Waverley
Rufous fantail seen along creek line this afternoon.
Chris Gittins

Tue 10 Dec Scarlet Honeyeater Liverpool Road Retarding Basin
The highlight of my monthly Birdlife survey for Melbourne Water was a pair of Scarlet Honeyeaters calling from the shrub near the car park. I thought I had heard them here during last months survey, but I couldn't clearly hear their calls due to road traffic, however on this occasion traffic was far lighter and I was able to clearly hear their calls
Tim Nickholds

Tue 10 Dec Hooded Robin Mangalore Flora and Fauna Reserve
Pair perched in dead tree; not reported here since 2010.
Val La May

Tue 10 Dec Pectoral sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A juvenile Pectoral sandpiper located on the small pond next to Beach rd. A nice day at WTP with Hedley Earl including good sightings of the an Arctic Jaeger and Lewins Rail, both at the Birdhide but both not giving us sufficient photography opportunities to get great photos.
Bernie OKeefe

Mon 9 Dec Australian Koel Burnley Gardens
I received a phone call from the Burnley Gardens manager to identify a bird that he had not heard before in the gardens. It was unmistakably a Common Koel. Recording available if further verification is required Australian Koel (1) heard calling by Gardens Manager. Audio recording no photos
Megan Griffith

White-headed Pigeon Mallacoota Inlet
Seen flying along road near Betka Beach entrance.
Arthur & Denise Carew

White-throated Needletail Mallacoota Inlet
App 30 WTN moving east around 10am today. Follows report on 5th. Very unsettled weather in area.
Arthur & Denise Carew

Sun 8 Dec White-winged Trillers, Brush Bronzewings, Southern Emuwrens Wonthaggi Heathland & Coastal Reserve
Male Triller displaying and singing his heart out with female foraging nearby; pair of bronzewings watched for several minutes from only 10m away.
Mike Tesch

Freckled Duck Balwyn North/Bulleen
A pair of Freckled Duck sited on the water hazard besides the 6th hole of Freeway Golf Course. Settled with Black Duck. Looked comfortable, despite my drive, very approachable.
Matt Wakefield

Lewin's Rail Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Approx 1/2 way down access road to bird hide. Bird darted across track 4 times, once with chick in tow
John Daniels

White-winged Triller The Pines Flora and Fauna Reserve
Had some spectacular sightings for me on a 25m stretch of a short walk close to dusk. On the Heathland Track 50m East of Panorama Track heard calls of White-Winged Triller. Two birds soon seen flying across track. Male bird seen constantly calling and making short flights from tree to tree. Also observed the male calling and displaying to female bird whish he ushered or followed to do so. (NB- I have seen WWT within 500m of this location in 2009, see link) Not 10m from there a Brush Bronzewing was calling from an area of dense vegetation. Just as I settled down to listen and perhaps catch a glimpse the strident call of a Goshawk pierced the air. I made a slow approach to it and an adult Brown Goshawk made a pass over me. It continued to call and keep a close look at me as I got stunning views of it with my Bino's.
James Peake

Fri 6 Dec Scarlet Honeyeater Doongalla Pony Club Sheffield Rd Montrose
At least 6 Scarlet Honeyeaters feeding along the Dandenong Creek. Also saw Rufous Fantail. First time I've seen either of these species in over 15 years of birdwatching at this beautiful spot.
Des Palmer

Sun 1 Dec Masked & White-browed Woodswallow pair? Little Desert National Park (Kiata campground)
It didn't occur to me at the time but after looking at my photos I have since realised that this is probably a cross breeding pair. The female White-browed had two eggs in a fallen down log found towards the south-eastern end of the Red-gum Loop walk. The male Masked was never far away from the female and usually sitting together when she wasn't on the nest. The male Masked would chase away other woodswallows that entered the area.
Nick Bradsworth

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.