birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 2 Dec 2013 03:01:55 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 1 Dec 2013.

Sun 1 Dec Pacific Golden Plover Western end of 13th beach,(42w) Black Rock.
29 Plovers observed today on the rocks at waters edge, with 6 or 7 Turnstones thrown in!
Denis Sleep

Australian Koel Bay st, Golden Square.
Heard by 3 0bservers on bird challenge . Calling from pine tree in church carpark.
K & M Dredge & D Jackson.

Sat 30 Nov Latham's Snipe Old Port Albert (Nooramunga Marine Park)
Unable to locate Beach stone-curlew despite thoroughly searching the beach from the caravan park to as far as we could walk toward the town. Crabs in abundance as were oystercatchers etc. we also took a short walk along a path that was beside the mangroves at the back of the Hotel. It was here we found the snipe. Latham's Snipe (4) Flushed 4 separate birds from a drain one street south west of the hotel. All 4 dropped into the mangroves alongside the walking path.
Hedley and Irena Earl

Sat 30 Nov Australian Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
Twas a lovelorn Oz Koel that sang out across the gardens this morning from up on high in ye olde elm overlooking Long Island, assuming it's the same bird as first reported in early November. Also present was a very vocal Sacred Kingfisher near the restaurant.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Sat 30 Nov Osprey Point Nepean National Park
Osprey (1) travelling westwards along north side of peninsular about 12pm
Peter Bennet

Fri 29 Nov Bassian Thrush Somers Trail (Mitcham)
Somers Trail is native bushland beside Heatherdale Creek Mitcham. To my surprise there 2 metres in front of me was a Bassian Thrush . Of course had left camera at home . Thrush stood and looked for 10 secs then scuttled off through the undergrowth.
Robert Scholes

Satin Flycatcher Westgate Park, Port Melbourne
A single male bird in the trees between the Friends work area and the road. First record for Westgate Park.
Andrew McCutcheon, Ann Williamson, Euan Moore

Thu 28 Nov Black Kite Learmonth Road, Ballarat
At least 26 Black Kites circling over tall pines on the boundary of the Ballarat North treatment plant. An unprecedented number for the Ballarat region.
Murray Grant

Beach Stone-curlew Old Port Albert (Nooramunga Marine Park)
Previously reported Beach-curlew seen about a km north of where Old Port Foreshore Rd hits the beach. Bird is very skittish not allowing approach closer than about 200 meters.
Scott Baker and Max Power

Wed 27 Nov White-winged Triller, Horsfield's & Shining-Bronze Cuckoos, White-browed Woodswallow. Point Cook Coastal Park.
Heard and observed three male White-winged Trillers at various locations in the Park. Observed a young Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo and heard a Shining Bronze Cuckoo, White-browed Woodswallows observed near the Spectacle Lake Car Park.
Peter Gibbons, Andre Dreyfus and Len Towerzey.

Eastern Koel Reservoir
Koel heard calling overnight 26/27 November
Steve Leonard

Tue 26 Nov Beach Stone-curlew Old Port Albert (Nooramunga Marine Park)
Seen briefly today at 3.30PM, at low tide where the Old Port Foreshore Rd hits the beach. This was not where the caravan park is, that is the similarly named Old Port Rd, which is further north. You take right hand turn at the roundabout as you reach the town & go to the beach. The bird was on the sandy beach directly south of the Nooramunga Marine Park sign, seen about 2-300 m away. I attempted to as subtly as I could to get closer to get better photos, but the bird had already gone. According to fellow birdwatcher Geoff Price the bird was probably flushed by someone who was walking their dog. I couldn't find the bird anywhere after this.
Kevin Bartram

Black Honeyeater Wilby
At least two birds (one an immature male) feeding off fuchsia gum flowers in the back garden. This is the 7th Black Honeyeater record I have had in the last month, definitely an irruption happening in NE Victoria at present.
Michael Ramsey

White winged Triller Crusoe Reservoir, Bendgo
High up in dead pine tree a long way off sorry for the poor photo
Janice McKay

Sacred Kingfisher, Satin Flycatcher, Grey Shrike-thrush Valley Reserve, Mount Waverley
All three birds spotted along creek line at Valley Reserve.(Flycatcher was female)
Chris Gittins

Crimson/Eastern Rosella cross, Koel Allingham Street Kangaroo Flat
Managed to get a photo of this bird today after sighting him/her about 4 times over the past month. It has paired with an eastern Rosella and produced 1 young that was seen today with it on the tree with hollows in it where they nested. The young looks like pure Eastern Rosella. Tree is cut off about 10' high opposite 209 Allingham St Station side of the street. The Koel is still in the big Fig tree Peel street Quarry Hill and there are now suspicions a second one is calling in the area as well.
Greg McKay

Mon 25 Nov Regent Parrot Baker Road near Bronzewing
An awe inspiring moment witnessing a flock of over 200 (possibly 250) Regent Parrots in roadside trees and feeding in a wheat crop. Many more green birds than yellow suggesting many juveniles. Seen during an 8 day Victoria wide tour with a birding group from Taiwan.
Simon Starr

White-throated Gerygone, Diamond Firetail Crusoe Reservoir, Kangaroo Flat, Bendigo
One adult bird of both species. Gerygone seen & heard at close range.
Ken & Maureen Dredge

Eastern Koel Highton, Geelong
Koel calling 0830 from top of Highton hill near Montpellier water basins. Koel now regular spring-summer visitor to Geelong for several consecutive years. It has been interesting to watch the Birdline records plot the southward and now westward movement over recent weeks.
John Newman

Sun 24 Nov Plumed Whistling Duck Majors Rd, Cohuna
Over two hundred birds hanging around a dairy and adjacent wetlands along Majors Rd SW of Cohuna.
Simon Starr

Eastern Koel Myrtleford (near Tennis Courts - town centre)
Heard calling.
Scott Jessup

White-throated Nightjar Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park
3 White-throated Nightjars found up on ironbark stony ridge while looking for Barking Owls two of them photographed. I was very excited as I have looked for this species on several occasions without luck. Just a note to say they were photographed using very long lenses as we did not want to disturb the birds
Geoff Jones & Peter Merritt

Fork-tailed Swift Elwood Foreshore
Very similar situation to the other FTS report today - alarm calls from other birds as the swift rocketed past quite low (around 30m above ground). It circled once and headed west. First record of the species for the Elster Creek area.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Baillon's Crake, Latham's Snipe, Australian Spotted Crake Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Looks like the T-section crake city is back open for business - 8 Baillon's Crake seen at the reedy pond at T-section. 1 Latham's Snipe seen on the edge of the pond beside the reedy pond. And 4 Australian Spotted Crake in the bird hide ponds.
Jackson Airey

Fork-tailed Swift Anglesea, Weir St
Alarm calls from honeyeaters caused me to look skywards - like me, they initially mistook an approaching bird as a Hobby. The Fork-tailed Swift circled and was joined by 4 others that descended from at least 200m altitude before moving off to the south. 12:20pm, overcast, moderate S wind.
Barry & Bernie Lingham

Sat 23 Nov Black Honeyeater, Diamond Firetail Goschen Bushland Reserve
Black Honeyeater (4) Diamond Firetail (2)
Ian Mayo

Sat 23 Nov Peregrine Falcon Kow Swamp
Whilst coming from Terrick Terrick three Peregrine Falcons perched on dead trees over Kow Swamp just near Piggery were observed. Have never seen 3 adult birds together before. Moderators note: Although to be expected in the area, 3 adults in the same vicinity is certainly unusual.
Peter Merritt & Geoff Jones

White-winged Triller Coalmine Road, Anglesea Heath

Ian Wilson

Sat 16 Nov Short-tailed Shearwater Fielder Road,Cockatoo, Dandenong Ranges
A late report ,but interesting. My daughter, who is very familiar with birds in the hills here, came across an unusual bird in the middle of the road while she was driving.She stopped and moved it to the side of the road. She thought that it was a seabird. It was in a bad way like it had been "hit by a car already" ! When I showed her Short- tailed Shearwater in a field guide she didn't hesitate to say that is what it was!
Francesca Beal per Graham Beal

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.