birding-aus

more dead Short-tailed Shearwaters

To: <>
Subject: more dead Short-tailed Shearwaters
From: "Michael Norris" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:54:51 +1100
Many thanks to Mark Carey for his informed input.

Not wanting to be alarmist or warmist, perhaps he can help with my vague
recollection that about 5 years ago there were concerns about adverse
conditions (algae?) in Alaskan waters attributed to climate change that may
have affected the STSH. Along with that I’ve also vague memories of some bird
species being significantly affected due to the changing composition of fish
stocks.

A friend did a couple of autopsies on birds along eastern Port Phillip with the
following results:

(1) In good condition. Well muscled. Stomach full. Partly digested small fish
and interestingly 2 small octopus, about 2 inches long. Haemorrhage in the
abdomen. Not quite sure where from but quite bruised along the back muscles
(could see this when the abdominal contents were lifted out. Suspect the
haemorrhage is part of the cause of death but not sure where it comes from?
External trauma? Are there any predators that might attack them? No signs of
external injury but difficult to see through all the feathers. No hooks or
plastic present.
(2) In very light condition. Stomach empty. Migration stress / starvation
presumably.

My guess is that the first bird may have been attacked by a Pacific Gull.  Is
that likely?  Any other conjectures (the biggest fun in birding)?

And I note it had eaten some small fish.

Michael Norris