birding-aus

more dead Short-tailed Shearwaters

To: "Philip Veerman" <>, "'Janine Duffy'" <>
Subject: more dead Short-tailed Shearwaters
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 20:50:47 +1100
I agree that most people believe that 'this has always happened' but I wonder if the magnitude of the problem has increased greatly since the plastic pollution problem has been present. I have seen dead Short-tailed Shearwaters on North Coast NSW beaches that had their stomachs full of plastic. Some research is being carried out on this but we need funding to carry out a comprehensive study. Some dead shearwaters are presently being tested by Department of Industry and Investment with the assistance of NPWS. I advised the laboratory that the issue of plastic ingestion could be a cause of death in at least some of these birds. They are going to check this during the autopsies. They are also testing for the presence of avian diseases.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide