birding-aus

Patagonia picnic table effect on Bribie Island, SE-QLD

To: "" <>
Subject: Patagonia picnic table effect on Bribie Island, SE-QLD
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Last week Saturday, 26th October, Raja and I found an Australasian Bittern at
Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island. Subsequently, many local/regional birders
travelled there to twitch it. Several of them were lucky to relocate it. Others
did not see it but found instead an Australian Little/Black-backed Bittern
(Marie Tarrant, 29th October) or an Eastern Yellow Wagtail (Judy Leitch et al.,
31st October). This reminds me of the famous 'Patagonia picnic table effect',
in which an influx of birdwatchers following the discovery of a rare bird at a
location results in the discovery of further rare birds at that location:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonia_picnic_table_effect

Other good birds that Raja, I and others saw at Buckley's Hole in the last few
days were Glossy Ibis (1), Buff-banded Rail (1), Baillon's Crake (1), Spotless
Crake (4), Latham's Snipe (5), Lesser Crested Tern (5), Little Grassbird (2).
Detailed lists are here:
http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=7

and here:
http://www.eremaea.com/LatestLists.aspx?Context=LatestLists&Region=15