birding-aus

Pizzey Regional Guides (ebook version now)

To: 'Russ' <>, Clive Nealon <>
Subject: Pizzey Regional Guides (ebook version now)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 07:55:17 +1100
It's the index that doesn't have clickable links, Russell. However there's a
quick reference guide after the contents that you can click on to take you to
that bird group, e.g. Honeyeaters, which is going to get you closer to the
species than the contents. This quick reference looks like it's laid out for a
phone screen, so there's a lot of wasted space on an iPad.

I got around the pagination problem by switching to Scroll mode. When you can
scroll continuously throught the material, the matching of headings and
pictures is more obvious. You enable this mode by clicking on the AA symbol at
the top, then on Themes.

The species maps (which I think are new in the most recent edition of the full
book) would be good, but at least in a regional guide you have a bit of an idea
where they should occur.

It's interesting to compare the concept of an electronic book with a printed
book. I only own a licence for Apple devices, so one day I probably won't have
access to it anymore, whereas with a real book I have it forever. But it's half
the price, adds nothing to the weight of the device it's on, and I get to use
it on my phone and my iPad.

Peter Shute