birding-aus

the fire hazard reduction program

Subject: the fire hazard reduction program
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 17:38:57 +0800

Ross McFarlane points out the common claim :

There is a need for some prescribed burning, for ecological reasons as well as for public safety. They create a mosaic of vegetation classes that different species need - e.g. malleefowl feed on wattle seeds etc. in disturbed habitat, and the Triodia that Mallee emu-wrens live in senesces in long unburned habitat. And the firebreaks can protect some long-unburned "lifeboat" patches from landscape scale bushfires.

The concept of mosiac or patchwork burns sounds nice.  But in practice they blanket burn large areas of the south west and particularly the Kimberley, the latter year after year.  Sure, some patches somehow survive, but in my experience I can't believe that these patches are enough for the dependent species to survive.  Even if they do hang on, their numbers are greatly reduced.

I have no problems with firebreaks as a means of stopping fires, and especially to give access to fight fires, but apart from bulldozing / mowing them, I see no concept of creating a firebreak in the prescribed burning.  When they have done a prescribed burn to protect habitat of threatened / endangered species, at least two I know of have got out of control and burnt the area meant to be protected.