birding-aus

the fire hazard reduction program

To: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: the fire hazard reduction program
From: "Ross Macfarlane \(TPG\)" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:46:41 +1000
Prescribed burning is actually claimed to be a net positive for greenhouse emissions because small, low-intensity burns produce less emissions than hot, landscape-scale bushfires, and because they stimulate new growth that ties up carbon.

Done right, this is probably a valid argument but that requires one to trust the Departments to do the burns right.

Re the Bushfires Royal Commission recommendation for an annual burn target: this is still a live issue in Victoria. The target is a flat 5% of all public land every year (and wildfires do not get counted.) A burn every 20 years would drive malleefowl (for 1) to extinction if there is no long-unburned mallee to breed in.

On the other hand, the annual target of nearly 400,000 hectares is still less than the Big Desert-Murray-Sunset complex fire in 2002, that nearly wiped out Mallee emu-wrens in South Australia. A 400,000 hectare burn in the wrong part of Murray Sunset and Hattah could wipe out the Victorian population and drive the whole species to extinction in a weekend.

There is a need for some prescribed burning, for ecological reasons as well as for public safety. They create a mosaic of vegetation classes that different species need - e.g. malleefowl feed on wattle seeds etc. in disturbed habitat, and the Triodia that Mallee emu-wrens live in senesces in long unburned habitat. And the firebreaks can protect some long-unburned "lifeboat" patches from landscape scale bushfires.

I think we need to argue the conservationists' case and keep the bastards honest - not blindly trust any government department, but not fight to despair over every hectare "lost". What we should demand is that decisions are backed up by science and data, not driven by political and financial imperatives, which is what worries us most about the Victorian approach.

Ross Macfarlane

-----Original Message----- From: Jeremy O'Wheel