birding-aus

the fire hazzard reduction program

To: "'Jeremy O'Wheel'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: the fire hazzard reduction program
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:57:43 +1000
Hi Jeremy,

The paper deals with plant communities in south-eastern, as well as
south-western Australia.   I accept your point that these two regions are
not the "vast majority" of Australia, but I dispute your claim that these
regions have "narrow specific ecosystems".   Nor was the paper referring to
narrow specific ecosystems.  If you have the opportunity to read the paper
it refers to a wide range of plant communities (and species within them),
from heathlands, to dry open woodland and wet and dry forests, just to name
a few.  The reason I decided to respond to your earlier comment is that you
said that eucalypt forests are especially adapted to regular fire regimes.
Although eucalypt species can be found across most of Australia, many
eucalypt forest communities are found within south-eastern and south-western
Australia.  The point that was raised in the paper is that what we have
identified as adaptations to fire may in fact be exaptations (traits that
have evolved for some other purpose, but which coincidentally assist plant
species to survive bushfires) rather than traits that have specifically
evolved to assist plant species to survive regular bushfires (i.e.
adaptations).

I'm not saying that the authors of the paper are right or wrong.  I'm merely
pointing out that there are alternative points of view out there.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde NSW