birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 19 Aug 2013 06:39:20 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 18 Aug 2013.

Sun 18 Aug Pacific Golden Plover, Caspian Tern, Double Banded Plover Barwon River Estuary
A quick visit to the Barwon River mouth at Barwon Heads revealed a single PGP as well as many Double Banded Plover (some in full breeding plumage). Caspian Tern and Red capped Plover were also spotted.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Sat 17 Aug Double-barred Finch Black Dog Creek - Lilliput
After searching around West Wodonga for 2 and half hours without success, Mike and I were amazed to find 16 among some Diamond Firetails at Black Dog Creek at Lilliput
Tim Nickholds & Michael Ramsey

Double-barred Finch Lilliput
An amazing record of 16 birds foraging near the Black Dog Creek at Liliiput. This is the highest number I have ever seen in North East Victoria and another extension of their range to the south and east. Some other great birds seen during a full day tour around the North East included Regent Honeyeaters and Turquoise Parrots at Chiltern, 400+ Plumed Whistling-Ducks at Peecheleba, Brolga and Bush Stone-Curlew at Rutherglen.
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Thu 15 Aug Marsh Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A single Marsh Sandpiper in breeding plumage was feeding with a single Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and stints along the muddy of the middle peninsula at Paradise Rd Lagoons. There are also possibly up to 7 Black Falcon about the plant with 2 pairs at William Thwaites Dve, another one at Pt Wilson Rd and another pair seen by Jen Spry earlier in the day. Swamp Harriers are displaying and a Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo is back; definite spring feel to the air.
Steve Davidson

Thu 15 Aug Swift Parrot Kingower State Forest
6 Swift Parrots on Gap Rd about 500m from the south end. Not seen feeding and only a little Yellow Gum in flower.
Malcolm Cousland

Swift Parrot Kooyoora State Park (Wehla Block)
18 Swift Parrots on Burkes Flat-Wehla Rd, feeding on White Box in flower
Malcolm Cousland

Diamond Firetail Ripley Road, Little River
This the largest flock I can remember seeing in our region. 11 Diamond Firetail sighted in exactly the same spot where I saw the single bird earlier in month. About 500 metres east of the intersection with Sandy Creek Rd.
Hedley Earl & Irena Earl

Wed 14 Aug Hooded Plover Boags Rock Outfall , Gunnamatta
9 Birds feeding on rocks at outfall 2 Immature birds , also two seen at Gunnamatta Surf Beach . 13 birds here last Thursday . Also present 6 Kelp Gulls and 4 Sooty Oystercatchers.
Colin Mulvogue

Osprey Port Phillip Heads Marine Nat Pk (Point Lonsdale)
Osprey (2) over towards Pt Nepean. Interacting, one upside down with talons extended. It has been suggested to me that what I saw could be a mating ritual.
Angus Hartshorn

Olive-backed Oriole Mouchmore Avenue, St Leonards
At 09:20hrs I heard an oriole calling as it slowly moved through. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it (Moderator's note: a early spring return, MR).
Peter Bright

Tue 13 Aug Pink-eared Duck, Spotted Harrier, Banded Stilt, Black-tailed Godwit Laverton Creek mouth
Pink-eared Duck (200) mixed in with Chestnut and Grey Teal. A single Banded Stilt, 2 Black-tailed Godwit and a Spotted Harrier flying over the creek.
Gina Hopkins, Leonie Robbins

Pallid Cuckoo Cannons Creek
Heard first at 0645 , then seen near Cannons Creek CFA Depot , common bird in spring , here and Warneet.
Colin Mulvogue

Mon 12 Aug Broad-billed Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
My colleague Daniel Field and I observed and photographed a Broad-billed Sandpiper at the T-Section Lagoon just inside gate 1 at Werribee Treatment Plant. The bird was with a large stint flock. If required, photos can be provided upon request.
Ilya Povalyaev

Swift Parrot Woodlands Estate, Ocean Grove
A flock of 7 flying easterly at 1650 hrs.
Tom Fletcher

Sun 11 Aug Scarlet Robin Western Treatment Plant
A male Scarlet Robin perching on fence and catching insects on track and adjacent saltmarsh on coast road near 145W. Very rare at WTP. Also 3 Glossy Ibis at 270S borrow pits.
Richard Loyn

Blue-billed Duck Green Hill Lake, Nr Ararat
At least 6 seen
Tristan Kennedy

Sat 10 Aug Nankeen Night-Heron Frog Hollow Reserve, Hallam
4 Nankeen Night-Herons on west side of the lake, visible from the boardwalk under the freeway.
Beth Carr

Mon 5 Aug Song Thrush Private property, South Morang
Single Song Thrush in my backyard foraging in the garden.
Dean Ingwersen

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.