birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 12 Aug 2013 06:51:24 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Aug 2013.

Sun 11 Aug Black Falcon Karkarook Park
Single Black Falcon soaring over eastern side of Lake - low quality record shots taken
Tim Bawden

Black-tailed Godwit Mouth of Laverton Creek, Altona
At 1610 hours today, I observed two Black-tailed Godwits (non-breeding plumage) on the south side of the mouth of Laverton Creek. The Godwits were preening and feeding with a small group of Banded Stilts and Red-necked Avocets.
Peter Gibbons

Sat 10 Aug White-capped Albatross, Black-browed Albatross Griffiths Island, Port Fairy
Black-browed Albatross & White-capped Albatross ten or so albertross very close to shore, moving between Moyne River mouth (Light House on Griffiths) and pea soup beach in blustery conditions with rough seas and on shore winds
Samantha Greiner

Sat 10 Aug Swift Parrot (8) Alexandra Gardens, Ararat
Seen in the eucalypts at the football ground end of Alexandra Gardens.
Tristan Kennedy

Grey Goshawk (white morph) Eden Park (near Whittlesea)
2pm soaring high moving slowly east. First record in 20 years.
Andrew Corrick

Eastern Osprey Point Nepean National Park
Adult seen cruising low along the shoreline at 3.45pm near Observatory Point. Foraging Hooded Plover nearby. A Kestrel and one Peregrine Falcon viewed from Cheviot Hill.
Fiona Parkin

Eastern Osprey Surf Coast Highway, Torquay near Grasstree Park
Flying low in a south-west direction.
Tom Fletcher

Fri 9 Aug White-headed Pigeon Hazeldean Rd, Ellinbank 3820
Today I saw and photographed a White-headed Pigeon at Ellinbank. I have been observing birds here for 27 years and never before seen one. I had loads of time for a positive identification.
Jason Alexandra

White-winged Chough Somers trail / Simpson Park Mitcham
Lone Chough. In 13 years here this is first sighting. Shame it was on its own. Unfortunately didn't have my phone for a photo, as it sat quite low in the tree.
Robert Scholes

Thu 8 Aug Blue Petrel Port Phillip Heads Marine Nat Pk (Point Lonsdale)
During an otherwise uneventful sea-watch from the lighthouse we were astonished to see a single Blue Petrel for about 10 minutes flying back & forth just past the breakers and over the Rip. Initially we thought it was a prion but the white tail tip with dark subterminal band was seen clearly as well as the bluish upperparts and dark hood. A first for Dave on his birthday too...
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Thu 8 Aug Brown Skua Point Addis
A single bird flying south-west just off the cliffs, watched for some time as it followed the coast. Very heavy-set individual with white wing flashes obvious.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Thu 8 Aug White-winged Triller, Diamond Dove St James 10' Cell
An early spring return of White-winged Triller seen by the roadside just south of St James. Also the Diamond Dove seen at Lake Rowan last week was in the same spot by Christian Street. Spring is not far away with beginning breeding activity noted as well. Galahs, Magpies and White-plumed Honeyeaters all collected nesting material.
Michael Ramsey

Little Penguin Corio Bay
Afternoon cruise around inner and outer Corio Bay. Little Penguin (2) a pair of little penguins sitting on the water just off Clifton Springs. Our first sighting of this species in the Bay.
Hedley Earl & Irena Earl

Wed 7 Aug Swift Parrot You Yangs Regional Park
Swift Parrot 10 - 15 on eastern side of park (East Boundary Tk)
Echidna Walkabout Nature Tours - Roger Smith, Martin Maderthaner

Wed 7 Aug Swift Parrot Anakie Primary School
20 to 30 Swifties feeding in large Yellow Gum at back of the school.
Debbie Worland

Tue 6 Aug Magpie Geese Edithvale Wetlands new hide
No binoculars needed! Lots of water at last.
Neil Graham

Freckled Duck Lake Guyatt, Sale
550 Freckled Ducks counted on Lake Guyatt with an additional 106 on adjacent Lake Gutteridge. Certainly undercounted as birds densely roosting on island on Lake Guyatt and in vegetation around edges.
Peter Kyne

Sun 4 Aug Lewin's Honeyeater Mt Dandenong
Seen in our backyard.
David Spicer

Sat 3 Aug Swift Parrots You Yangs

Rob Farnes, Bob Hughes

Fri 2 Aug Buff-banded Rail, Masked Lapwing (breeding) Central Roundabout, intersection of Derrimut and Hogans Roads, Hoppers Crossing 3029.
At 1230 hours today, I observed a single Buff-banded Rail feeding on the well grassed and vegetated central roundabout at this very busy suburban intersection. I have been observing a pair of nesting Masked Lapwings on the same roundabout for about a month now. They appear to have hatched their chicks and one adult was on the chicks at the time I observed the Rail. After notification the local Council have played their role in protecting the Lapwings, by not currently maintaining the roundabout until the birds disperse. (Moderators note: interesting habitat use and behaviour of the Buff-banded Rail).
Peter Gibbons

Thu 1 Aug Freckled Duck Snipe Point - near Hollands Landing, East Gippsland
Greater than 300 Freckled Ducks seen in Snipe Point amongst 80 odd Eurasian Coots. Didn’t spend much time as was blowing a gale. Lots of water in this lagoon, Victoria Lagoon and surrounding farmlands.
Faye Bedford

Tue 30 Jul Satin Bowerbird Colac Gardens
Five green birds feeding in lilypillies trees on western end.
Rob Farnes, Bob & Jan Hughes

White-naped Honeyeater Eastern Treatment Plant, Bangholme
Single bird observed drinking from pool near entrance to main admin. building , with White Plumed HE , First time seen at plant .
Colin Mulvogue

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.