birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 19 Aug 2013 06:39:29 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 18 Aug 2013.

Thu 15 Aug Litttle Button Quail Doolina Gorge (Marble Bar Road)
Flushed one out as I walked past, between the river and the track. Also saw a couple of Painted Finches.
Snez Plunkett

Flock Bronzewing Pigeon approx. 10Km west fromPardoo )GPS co-ord's on the photo)
I saw a pair of unusual pigeons landing near the road, stopped and searched but they took off - only managed a blurred photo with my point and shoot camera - but good enough for a positive ID. (cropped) Also sighted - around 8 Brolgas near the small cluster of waterholes, 20Km west of Pardoo, on 14th Aug. and 12 Brolgas on the plains near Cape Keraudren today.
Snez Plunkett

Wed 14 Aug Brolga Mandora Salt Marsh (RAMSAR site), 20Km past Sandfire (towards Broome)
The salt marsh has dried out but I counted 49 birds feeding, fairly close to the highway. Sadly my camera just isn't good enough to capture at such distance.
Snez Plunkett

Tue 13 Aug Pheasant Coucal 11Km west from Pardoo, next to Highway One, WA
I have no photo as I stopped too late, but, as I was driving, in the morning, saw a single bird landing on the bush behind a small tree by the road. Unmistakably recognisable. I did not expect to see this bird in this area.
Snez Plunkett

Red-capped Plover 80 Mile Beach (Wallal Downs), WA (RAMSAR site)
Dozens of R-C Plovers sighted at the beach. Too many vehicles and motorbikes there for any self respecting bird to stay on. As this is a Ramsar site and on a major flyway - I was appalled to see that they allow vehicles on the beach.
Snez Plunkett

Birdline Western Australia is hosted by Eremaea Birds.