birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 5 Aug 2013 07:14:08 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 4 Aug 2013.

Sun 4 Aug Fairy Gerygone Dunethin Rock
heard singing. Nice coloured male seen well
Ken Cross

Barking Owl Schuster Park, Tallebuggera, Gold Coast
Went with some Birdlife Birder that already knew it was there. Went early morning Male and Female Roosting quietly.
Jed Knight

Double-banded Plover Kakadu Beach, Bribie Island
Six birds resting on the sandbar at high tide
Rick Franks

Sat 3 Aug Spotless Crake FRAZER 1' Cell
Spotless Crake (1) photographed at 4.55pm
Ed Frazer

Spotted Quail Thrush Bellbird Grove, Qld
A couple of pairs very active near the gate. Managed nice pics of both male and female. Thanks to Richard at BQ for the gen
Ross Monks

Freckled Ducks Priors Pocket Rd, Moggill
7 on farm dam, with 4 Pink-eared and others
Ian and Jill Brown

Pacific Baza Dohles Rocks
A pair of Pacific Bazas were on the power wires above an ornamental footpath tree in Dohles Rocks not far from the main boat ramp, they were feeding on green frogs they were getting out of the tree.
Jack Whiting

Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo Black Duck Hole, Murrumba Downs
Three Yellow-tails were in a low tree near the walkway but were chased out by a dog and retreated to a paper-bark in the wetland area at the southern end of the lake. This is my first sighting of Yellow-tails at Black duck
Jack Whiting

White-throated Needletail Griffin
Single bird over low south. Had to do a double take given time of year but good views had. Presumably an overwintering bird not an early returning migrant. Perhaps wintering further north but encouraged south by spring like conditions?
Andy Jensen

Thu 1 Aug Bush Stone-curlew Walkabout Creek The Gap
Two birds sighted in the landscaping gardens alongside the car parking areas
Vince Bugeja

Mon 29 Jul Freckled Duck Torbanlea Lagoon
5 Freckled Ducks on lagoon. They swam across the lagoon when approached.
Matt Hinze

Red-necked Avocet Toorbul 1km North
these birds have been reported recently at a few different locations but I was only able to locate 10 birds at this site
Jack Whiting

hoary-headed grebe Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island
this bird has been reported recently and thanks to the information about it keeping close company with a hardhead I was able to locate it fairly quickly
Jack Whiting

beach stone-curlew Kakadu Beach, Bribie Island
pair on the beach in the reserve area just south of the northern bird hide
Jack Whiting

Black-tailed Native-hen Dohles Rocks
Presumably the same bird as present at the start of the month. Back around ponds of house opposite Osprey House Environmental Centre this evening. Nearby Glossy Ibis (2) on wetland at end of Greens Road.
Andy Jensen

Diamond Dove Oxley Creek Common
Diamond Dove (1) Walking next to Bar-Shouldered Dove
Whitty Family

Sun 28 Jul White-eared Monarch Inskip Point
White-eared Monarch (2) Pair located along Bullocky Point Rd. Fairy Gerygones also at this location. Several young Gannets in the straight between the point and Fraser Island. No Black-breasted Buttonquails today but fresh platelets found.
Steve Murray

Sun 28 Jul Hoary-headed Grebe, Cicadabird Buckley's Hole, Bribie Island
Surveyed with Vince Bugeja. Hoary-headed Grebe (1) non-breeding plumage. following Hardhead and diving after Hardhead dives. Cicadabird - Very early arrival usually arriving around September - October - photo taken
Dezmond Wells & Vince Bugeja

Spotted Harrier, Wedge-tailed Eagle Minnippi Parklands, Tingalpa
Another excellent visit here with 5 raptor species seen at lunchtime. Highlight was an adult Spotted Harrier flying low North at 1150, followed by a distant Wedge-tailed Eagle at 12. Also 2 Hobbys, Brown Goshawk and a BSK. Lots of birds in the scrub behind the Airfield, including a Rufous Fantail (rare here in Winter), 2 Leaden Flycatchers and a Forest Kingfisher.
Stuart Pickering

Sat 27 Jul Yellow-billed Spoonbill Bishops Marsh
Yellow-billed Spoonbill (1) Feeding at back of main swamp
Dezmond Wells

Sat 27 Jul Red-necked Avocet Toorbul Artificial Roost
Red-necked Avocet (15) on mud roosting
Dezmond Wells

Sat 27 Jul Double-banded Plovers North Shore Maroochy River
c. 10 birds adjacent to dunes. Also 5- 6 Red-capped Plovers.
Ken Cross

Black-browed Albatross Sunshine Coast Pelagic
1 immature
Greg Roberts & 12 others

Fairy Prion Sunshine Coast Pelagic
Several off shelf, also numerous Providence Petrel and several Common Noddies
Greg Roberts

White-faced Storm-Petrel Sunshine Coast Pelagic
1 off shelf
Greg Roberts & 12 others

Masked Booby Sunshine Coast pelagic
1 immature along with lots of Australasian Gannets
Greg Roberts & 12 others

Red-necked Avocet Toorbul Sandfly Bay
Red-necked Avocet (9) on a sandbar.
Dezmond Wells

Red-necked Avocet Toorbul 1km North
Red-necked Avocet (9) on shoreline
Dezmond Wells

Freckled Duck, Lewin's Rail Minnippi Parklands, Tingalpa
Freckled Duck still present under Island, also a Lewin's Rail calling near the Wodland path. 1 Tawny Frogmouth in trees at southern end of lake
Stuart Pickering

Fri 26 Jul Pink-eared Duck Dowse Lagoon, Sandgate
About 15 were observed from the Hide at this lagoon with Grey Teal and Pacific Black Ducks and a Great Cormorant
Vince Bugeja

Olive-backed Oriole Dowse Lagoon, Sandgate
This bird was observed singing away alongside the walking path
Vince Bugeja

Thu 25 Jul Freckled Duck Moore Park
4 birds on town lagoon. other nice birds around Bundaberg included Pink-eared Duck, Square-tailed Kite, Lesser Crested Tern, Shining Flycatcher, Cotton Pygmy-Goose, White-eared Monarch
Greg Roberts

White-throated Nightjar John Oxley Reserve, Murrumba Downs
The bird found by Jack Whiting two weeks ago is still hanging around, but has moved. Yesterday I found it roosting in a large Mangrove beside the boardwalk circuit at the bottom of the main track. It was in the same tree again today and showing well.
Steve Murray

Wed 24 Jul Mulga Parrot Bladensburg National Park
3 birds observed at Skull Waterhole. Seem to be north of normal range and not on local bird checklist?
Dave Torr, Iian Denham, Christine Shelley, Trevor Hunt

Freckled Duck Eli STP Lagoons, Hervey Bay
7 Freckled Ducks in lagoon with Hardheads, Black-winged Stilts and Grey Teal.
Matt Hinze

Tue 23 Jul Glossy Black-Cockatoo Walter Zimmerman Park, Pine Mountain
Glossy Black-Cockatoo (2) At junction of Rail Trail and Walter Zimmerman Park access, feeding on Allocasuarina
Peter Horler

Mon 22 Jul Freckled Duck (5), Black Falcon (1) Fred Bucholz Park Tamborine Village
5 Freckled Ducks dozing on the muddy edge of the Lagoon just behind the horse paddock of the house immediately adjacent to the Park. One Black Falcon flew across the road as I was leaving.
Sandra Gallienne

Fairy Gerygone 92 Old Coach Way, Ninderry
First record here in 3+ years of daily counts at Ninderry Palms. Further north they are regular hosts of the Little Bronze Cuckoo .Said cuckoo is recorded all year here,but calling is subdued in the cooler months.
HENRY ALLAN NIX

Black Kite Mareeba Rubbish Tip
Thousands of Black Kites are feeding off the recently allowed dumping of decaying food waste being dumped there every day by trucks from Cairns. The waste is not being properly covered or managed and birds and native mammals are dying from a transfer of a bacteria and from sickness due to this unnatural and detrimental diet
Shane Marsterson

Sat 20 Jul Cockatiel Along Kalbar Peak Crossing Rd, Harrisville (near Boonah)
Around 30 - 40 Cockatiels observed at 1pm sitting on the telephone lines at approximately (-27.830756,152.684501). Those coordinates are from Google Maps, but I saw the birds between the turn-offs to Greenwood Rd and Ellis and Jackson's Rd. Adults and juveniles were seen. Unfortunately did not have a camera with me but it was delightful to watch these birds through my bins for about 5 minutes. 3 more seen further along the road towards Kalbar.
Elliot Leach

Fri 19 Jul Flock Bronzewing, Black Falcon and Inland Dotteral +more Dam on the Coorabulka Station road.
Well, pretty sure it's on the Coorabulka station road? I don't have my map on me right now... It's in Windorah. Anyway, it's a right turn 17kms after Monkira St heading from Windorah to Bedourie on the Diamantina Dev Road. Then it's about 25kms up the track. Lat:-24.476715 Long: 140.331284 Massive flock of Flock Bronzewing Pigeons (estimated, roughly at 30-40,000 birds) coming into drink. Also seen- pair of Black Falcon hunting the pigeons, Budgies, Orange Chats, numerous Inland Dotterals with newly hatched chicks in surrounding area, a single Blue-winged Parrot, White-browed Woodswallow, Aust Hobby and the rest of the usual suspects. Sadly no Letter-winged Kite. If you visit the site and find a Sandisk 8gb CF Card, please return it to me (Henry Cook I miss it dearly. Oh the perils of exciting birding finds and full memory cards. I must have dropped it in the flurry of changing cards. It's hard to take a picture that truly captures the size of the flock with a 500mm lens, but there really were a lot of birds.
David Stowe, Fatih Sam and Henry Cook

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Southern Queensland and hosted by Eremaea Birds.