birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 15 Jul 2013 07:03:43 +1000

Birdline New South Wales

Published sightings for the week ending 14 Jul 2013.

Sun 14 Jul Spotted Harrier, Wedge-tailed Eagle Smith Rd, Castlereagh
There were quite a bit of raptor activity at Castlereagh just before noon with a Wedge-tailed Eagle, both a Spotted and Swamp Harrier, a Whistling Kite and a few Kestrels and Black-shouldered Kites (all pretty much seen around the same time).
Edwin Vella

Pied Butcherbird, Jacky Winter Castleregah Rd, Castlereagh 9approx. 55 km NW of Sydney CBD)
The adult Pied Butcherbird I saw a month ago was seen again this morning at the exact same place beside Castlereagh Rd opposite "Don Clark Tractors'. This is just past Devlins Rd as you head towards Richmond. While I photographed this bird I also heard another bird call from the other side of the road so I think they may be a pair here. I also saw here at least 3 Common Bronzewings and heard a Jacky Winter. I also saw a Jacky Winter just south of Devlins Rd.
Edwin Vella

Pink Robin Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside, western Sydney
Adult female caught in mist net in banding project. Several photos taken with iPhone camera. Banded and released.
Jeff Hardy, John Farrell, Ken Gover

Sat 13 Jul Spotted Harrier (2), Horsfield'd Bronze-cuckoo Richmond
There were 2 Spotted Harriers at Richmond - an immature bird beside Cuppits Lane and an adult bird (see attached photo) beside Triangle lane. At the later place there were also 3 Brown Goshawks.
Edwin Vella, Mark Fuller and Tony Dawe

Banded Lapwing Cornwallis
There were 10 Banded Lapwings beside Cornwallis Rd. There were 8 at the usual place beside the palm trees near the Windsor end of Cornwallis Rd and another 2 closer to Cuppits Lane.
Edwin Vella and Mark Fuller

Varied Sitella, Eastern Spinebill, Lewin's Honeyeater, Scarlet Honeyeater, Speckled Warbler Bingara State Forest (Bobby Whitlow Creek Bird Route 600m)
2 Varied Sitellas were observed moving along tree branches. 3-4 Eastern Spinebills and large numbers of Lewin's Honeyeater were observed. A single male Scarlet Honeyeater was observed in flight. A single Red capped Robin and also a single Eastern Yellow Robin were observed. Flocks of Buff-rumped, Brown, Yellow, Striated Thornbills and Weebills were observed. 2 Speckled Warblers were observed in the end.
Curtis Hayne

Black Falcon Smith Rd., Castlereagh
Hunting over grassland where the Spotted Harrier has been for some months. Also 2 Intermediate Egrets in small swamp.
Chris Chafer

Superb Parrot Gwydir River, Bingara
4 Superb Parrots were observed in River Red Gums along the Gwydir River. Also seen were Musk & Little Lorikeets at nest hollows and 2 Pale headed/Eastern Rosella Overlaps.
Curtis Hayne

Eastern Osprey Ash Island (Scotts Walk)
Two Osprey near Scotts Point flying around the river, landing in tree and fishing in the late afternoon.
Rebecca Citroni

Cattle Egret Burradoo
14 Cattle Egrets feeding in paddocks by Moss Vale Rd (almost opposite The Briars pub) mid-afternoon. The most Cattle Egrets I've seen together in the Southern Highlands.
Lorne Johnson

Great Crested Grebe Bicentennial Park, Homebush Bay
Great Crested Grebe In the bay between the wrecks and Rhodes.
Michael Barton

Fri 12 Jul Spotted Harrier near Scone
Spotted Harrier perched on roadside fence next to the New England Highway, a few kilometres north of scone yesterday afternoon.
Marc Anderson

Sooty Owl Coorongooba campground, Glen Davis (Wollemi NP)
One Sooty Owl calling occasionally (approx 7pm-8pm) from forest on the steep slopes of the Capertee river valley. Plenty of smaller honeyeaters around including Yellow-tufted, White-naped, Brown-headed, White-plumed, and Yellow-faced - but I didn't see many friarbirds or wattlebirds. Many eucalypts seemed heavy with buds but not yet flowering. Rock Warblers were very common near the river crossing before the campsite. Also many Zebra Finches, Double-barred Finches, and Wedge-tailed Eagles around.
Marc Anderson

Spiny-cheeked honeyeater (1) Bar-shouldered Dove (4) Capertee Valley (Glen Davis)
Spiny-Checked Honeyeater in red flowering eucalyptus near Budgie aviary in village, Bar-Shouldered Dove near boutique hotel in Glen Davis village.
Dion Hobcroft and Kevin ZImmer, Paul Davis

Red-necked Avocet, Red-capped Plover, Double-banded Plover Goran Lake, 30 km south of Gunnedah 2380
Next to about 300 Red-necked Avocets (there were none a few weeks ago, report #184406), ca. 30 Red-capped Plovers and 10 Double-banded Plovers, a remnant population of about 20 Australian Pelicans, 10 Black-winged Stilts, 3 Caspian Terns and 3 Pink-eared Ducks were found at Goran Lake, an ephemeral lake about 30 km south of Gunnedah. Only a few hundred of the thousands of Grey Teals remain that were there last year.
Michael Dahlem

Double-banded & Red-capped Plovers, Musk Duck, Avocet, Osprey, Little Eagle, Grey Gshwk, Golden Whis Farm Properties, Ashley
A great day out today birding on cotton farm properties in the Ashley area. We observed about 25 Red-capped Plovers and about 10 Double-banded Plovers together. Also a flock of 12 Red-necked Avocets and large flocks of Black-winged Stilt. A single male Musk Duck was also observed. About 70 Black-tailed Native-hens were observed which aren't found in winter, another real highlight. 2 Eastern Ospreys were seen perched on a Carole Creek Weir Regulator before flying off, harassed by Whistling & Black Kites, Australian Ravens and Torresian Crows on the Gwydir River. 2 Grey Goshawks and a Brown Goshawk were also seen on the Gwydir River and a Little Eagle was seen soaring high above the west side of the village itself. A single White-bellied Sea Eagle was seen. Large flocks of White-breasted Woodswallow (which aren't seen in winter) were also seen. An immature Golden Whistler was also observed (first sighting of one in a red ridge area). 500 Pink-eared Ducks and 3 Australasian Shovelers were observed. 400 Australian Pelicans were also seen as well as many Gull-billed and Caspian Terns. A Singing Honeyeater and an immature Olive-backed Oriole were observed in the village.
Curtis Hayne and Ainslee Lines

Grey Currawong Tallong
One bird heard where railway bridge flies over Highland Way south of Tallong. Another Grey Currawong was seen on the Bundanoon side of Penrose.
Lorne Johnson

Little Eagle Goulburn
A pair of Little Eagles above Braidwood Road, a kilometre out of Goulburn heading to Lake Bathurst.
Lorne Johnson

Australian Shelduck Lake Bathurst
2 Australian Shelducks in a paddock on the Goulburn side of Lake Bathurst township. Another Australian Shelduck was on a dam on the Braidwood side of Tarago.
Lorne Johnson

Pied Butcherbird North Head, Sydney Harbour
Went whale watching near Bluefish Point and heard and saw a Pied Butcherbird singing from a TV aerial.
Harry O'Donovan

Red-necked Avocets Dee Why Lagoon
Group of 10 Red-necked Avocets at the centre of lagoon @0630
Mike barrow

Thu 11 Jul Glossy Black Cockatoo near Georges Junction, Macleay River valley
About a dozen Glossy Black's feeding in the late afternoon and early the next morning in creekside casuarinas near Georges Junction (about half way between Kempsey and Armidale)
Marc Anderson

Black-necked Stork and Glossy Black-Cockatoo Congewai Rd, Congewai
Black-necked Stork was seen around 8.30am in large creek, eating what looked like an eel. Water is part of the Congewai Creek, on the right hand side of the road, about 200m before the Great North Walk NP sign, on the left. 3 Glossy Black-Cockatoos seen in the Watagan Forest, above Congewai Rd.
Carol and Peter Abbott

Pheasant Coucal Banora Point, NSW
Moderator's note (NH): Unfortunately, the attached photograph is of low resolution and hence doesn't show much detail. However, Kristin sent me a movie which showed the bird in flight (from the roof to the lawn) and moving on the ground. Importantly, the bird gave the Pheasant Coucal's hissing alarm call twice.
Kristin Carter

Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck & Australasian Shoveler McPherson Road Swamp, Tuggerah
18 Freckled Ducks, 15 Pink-eared Ducks & 1 male Australasian Shoveler were sitting on the water with Eurasian Coots, Pacific Black Ducks and Grey Teal at 1330. The birds were all on the far western side of the swamp due to the presence of kids canoeing on the eastern side.
Nick Carson

Little Lorikeet Vale of Ah Reserve, Milperra
A flock of four Little Lorikeets flew over the reserve at about 8:30 this morning. I saw two flying over on Monday as well. The first I've seen locally since I moved here in March.
David James

Hooded Plover Burrill Lake
2 Hooded Plovers seen at northern end of beach where I saw the Caspian Tern yesterday. Both birds busily feeding on rock platform.
Lorne Johnson

Wed 10 Jul Rufous Scrub-bird, Albert's Lyrebird, Russet-tailed Thrush, Sooty Owl Border Ranges National Park
Rufous Scrub-birds calling in various places. Albert's Lyrebird's singing almost everywhere we stopped. Single Russet-tailed Thrush seen well, white outer tail feathers very clear in flight - this was above the Forest Tops campsite in temperate rainforest with Antarctic Beech, not sure of the exact altitude. Sooty Owl calling in the early morning near the Forest Tops campground. Also, 2 x Noisy Pittas were seen at relatively high altitude near the Pinnacles lookout.
Marc Anderson

Grey Goshawk, Rose Robin, Striated Heron, Azure Kingfisher Deep Water Park Milperra
During a quick afternoon visit I saw a female white morph Grey Goshawk perch-hunting at the abandoned market gardens. I have previously seen grey morph a couple of times here. Also 4 Rose Robins (3 males and a female type), a Striated Heron and an Azure Kingfisher.
David James

Caspian Tern Burrill Lake
One Caspian Tern seen from shore a little further north of the entrance to Burrill Lake.
Lorne Johnson

Australian Brush-Turkey Smoothey Park Wollstonecraft
2 female Australian Brush-Turkeys were scratching in leaf littler on the edge of the park close to River Road and about 100m from the railway line.
Judy Clark

Scarlet Robin Mulgoa Nature Reserve near entry Gate 8
At 2 pm today, I observed a pair of Scarlet Robins in the eucalypt sapling canopy near the trail. I only managed to photograph the male bird. This species was previously reported to Birdline at this site on the 25/6/13 by Mark Ley and Colin Scouler.
Bob Sinclair

Turquoise Parrots Near Terry Hie Hie, NSW
Around 10 Turquoise Parrots were flushed from roadside grasses and then heard calling about 10km North East of Terry Hie Hie.
Curtis Hayne and Ainslee Lines

Rose Robins, Peregrine Falcon, Golden Whistlers, Brown Thornbills Biniguy, NSW
A Great Day out today while birding on the Gwydir River near Biniguy. 3, possibly more female Rose Robins were seen in dense vegetation along the Gwydir River, (my first observation of this species) birds came close enough to obtain photos. A single Peregrine Falcon was also seen harassing White-winged Choughs. Large numbers of Golden Whistler was also seen including males and females (as well as the common immatures that are well around at the moment) which have only been observed in the whole area, this winter and last winter. Brown Thornbills were also seen, a rare species in the area as well as Buff-rumped, a very uncommon one in the area. Hundreds of Little Black Cormorant were also seen fishing in the river and hundreds of Straw necked and Australian White Ibis were seen. Diamond Doves were also heard calling. Olive backed Orioles and Common Bronzewings were also seen.
Curtis Hayne

Fairy Prion Off Wybung Head, Munmorah SCA
This morning observed about 20 Prions joining a mob of about 30 Silver Gulls feeding on fish rising to the water surface above the submerged rockface of Wybung Head. Based on the prominent upperwing "M" pattern and wide terminal tail band, there are only two possibilities for the ID, either Fulmar Prion or Fairy Prion. Since Fairy Prions have been observed repeatedly in the area lately, I suggest these were also Fairy Prions. What is unusual is that there were about 20 of them, feeding very close to shore (20-100 m off the headland).
Michael Dahlem

Tue 9 Jul Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Hale St, Botany, NSW
Most surprised to see flock of about 10-15 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos outside TNT offices at Hale St, Botany. The area is quite industrial and the birds were feeding on small Coast Banksia trees in the car-park as the big prime movers and forklifts raced by.
Andrew Whitaker

Channel-billed Cuckoo Cawongla10' Cell
From the Tweed Range Road coming out of Border Ranges NP to the 'Wadeville Woolies' accomodation off Link Road, Wadeville. Stayed overnight there and then back to the National Park the next day. Channel-billed Cuckoo (1) Thought this was quite unusual, but unmistakeable in flight in the late afternoon.
Elliot Leach

Spotted Harrier Cudgen
Hunting along the drainage ditch between crop paddocks beside Tweed Valley Way.
Rob Morrow

Wandering Albatross Mistral Point, Maroubra
Wonderful views of a Wandering Albatross (gibsoni?) just off the headland that came in to feed on the leftovers of whatever the seal/sea lion had been feeding on.
Simon Gorta

Freckled Duck, Grey Goshawk Broadwater Swamp, Cattai
A single Freckled Duck was seen amongst a few Australasian Shovelers, Pink-eared Ducks and at least 100 Hardhead on the Broadwater Swamp besides Wisemans Ferry Rd. A Grey Goshawk was seen flying low over the road beside Longneck Lagoon.
Edwin Vella

Banded Lapwing (4) Cornwallis Rd, Cornwallis
4 Banded Lapwings at the usual area at the Windsor end of Cornwallis Rd and opposite the playing fields.
Edwin Vella

Spotted Harrier (1), Black Falcon (2) Bakers Lagoon, Richmond
An immature Spotted Harriers was approached within fairly close range on the eastern side of Bakers Lagoon. Later on flying over the lagoon was presumably the same pair of Black Falcons as seen earlier on in the Richmond Lowlands together with 2 young Swamp Harriers and subsequently 3 Whistling Kites. I had 11 species of raptor today in the Hawkesbury.
Edwin Vella

Black Falcon (2) Richmond Lowlands (approx. 60km NW of Sydney CBD)
Two Black Falcons (an adult male and female) where seen in the Richmond Lowlands today. Both birds allowed me to approach them at very close range for a period of about 10 minutes as they perched, preened and even yawned in some trees beside the road. I have attached one of many photos I took of these fantastic birds.
Edwin Vella

Mon 8 Jul Paradise Riflebird Killabakh Nature Reserve
Cold but sunny morning with full sun and no breeze. Paradise Riflebird (1) Female with rich brown back and wings. Long dark down curved bill, broad white line at eye. Crown darker brown than wings. Chevron pattern on belly to vent paler than in Pizzey fieldguide illustration. Seen at 530 metres. Was hammering at bark in high branches of an acacia with its long bill. Moved about the tree in a very agile way.
Kim and Geoff Larmour

Mon 8 Jul Glossy Black-Cockatoo and Eastern Yellow Robin Riverlea hills
Heard then saw 3 Glossy Black-Cockatoos flying overhead. Later that day i saw a Eastern Yellow Robin hunting around the garden. Haven't seen either for quite a while.
Sueanne Gibbons

Tree Martin Lord Howe Island
Tree Martin (1) with a few Welcome Swallow over the airport swamp, vagrant here, whitish rump and darkish blue head seen well. The female Australian Wood Duck continues to be around the airport swamp as well.
Michael Ramsey

Wandering, Buller's & Campbell Albatross, White-faced Storm-petrel Terrigal pelagic to Continental Shelf
Five hours were spent out at the edge of the shelf c 27 km east of Terrigal at S33 40 38, E 151 46 54. Highlights were 2 adult and 2 juvenile (brown) Wandering Albatross, 30-40 Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross, 20-30 Black-browed Albatross, 2 Campbell Albatross, 2-3 Buller's Albatross, 8+ Shy Albatross. 4 White-faced Storm-petrels were seen but did not hang around as did 4 Solander's (Providence) and 1 Great-winged Petrel, 30+ Fairy Prion, White-fronted Tern etc. Two Brown Skuas and a Northern Giant-petrel were seen on the way home.
Alan Morris on behalf of Tim Faulkner, Mick Roderick, Allan Richardson et al

Freckled Duck Centennial Parklands
Alan and Marylon first sighted a single Freckled Duck on the Duck Pond in Centennial Park, Sydney but since then other bird watchers have seen and photographed it.
Marylon Coates via Allan Richards

White-winged Fairy-wren Breeza-Central Nth NSW
One breeding plumage male calling from long grass just out of town on the Currabubula Rd. at 1 pm. Very surprised to see this bird so far East. Did not see any females with him. Other birds on that rd were Spotted Harrier, Cockatiel, Aust Kestrel, Golden-headed Cisticola and Black-shouldered Kite.
Warren chad

Pied Butcherbird Long Reef Golf Course
Pied Butcherbird (1) Single bird seen in the pine tree near the top car park. I heard an unfamiliar call when I was looking for the Boobook. After following the call onto the golf course, I saw this bird in the pine tree.
Mark.Young

Sun 7 Jul Australian Wood Duck, Spotless Crake Lord Howe Island
Australian Wood Duck (1) a female bird seen with Mallards at the airport swamp, vagrant here. Spotless Crake (1) seen clearly skulking off into thick vegetation in a swampy area along the road between Capella Lodge and Little Island Walking track. Vagrant here and it appears to first record for the island.
Michael Ramsey

Eastern Shrike-tit Private property nr Sydney & Hobart St's, Oxley Park 2760
One lone male, not seen here before.
Gordon Kelly

Wed 3 Jul Barking Owl Wellingrove, New England Tableland
Two birds began spontaneous calling to each other on dusk (starting 17:10), increasing to almost manic calling then subsiding to sporadic calls by 17:18, followed by soft sporadic calls from one bird until I left.
Peter Higgins

Ground Cuckoo-shrike Glen Elgin (locality east of Glen Innes), New England Tableland
Four birds in grassy paddocks with scattered eucalypts.
Peter Higgins

Birdline New South Wales is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and hosted by Eremaea Birds.