birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 8 Jul 2013 06:51:59 +1000

Birdline New South Wales

Published sightings for the week ending 7 Jul 2013.

Sun 7 Jul Common Diving-Petrel (1 beachwashed), White-fronted Tern (5) Eurobodalla National Park, Potato Point
Single beach washed headless specimen; part of the recent wreck but no sign of any DP'Ss offshore although a lot of prions present further out (only Fairy ID'd). A good view of a Feather-tailed Glider at night in a coastal Banksia was a highlight.
Dion Hobcroft

White-eared Monarch Wanganui, near Mullumbimby
Single White-eared Monarch observed feeding typically on edge of dense foliage this morning around 10.15am, in a 'forage group' of Brown Thornbills and Grey Fantails. Might have missed it but my fanaticism for observing Grey Fantails in action led my eye to this bird.
Stephen Brooking

Sat 6 Jul Inland Dotterel 53 Km from Tibooburra on the Sturt National Park Road
Two Inland Dotterel, with two tiny chicks, 53 km from Tibbooburra on the Sturt National Park road. One bird flew across road in front of car, and the second was seen walking across to join the first. One came back across the road with the two tiny ones which looked like miniatures of the adults in their upright stance. Both adults came to the same side of the road, and eventually crossed back over again, without the chicks. Presumably the chicks were planted somewhere. We didn't get any closer than necessary to confirm the birds, and then left them alone.
Peter and Bev Morgan

Black-shouldered Kite, Little Lorikeet Smith street Castlereagh
Black-shouldered Kite, 6 Little Lorikeets feeding in flowering gum trees.
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

Spotted Harrier Picton Road (near Wilton)
Had good views of a Spotted Harrier flying fairly low over farmland/residential land. Black undertail bands were quite visible. Fine cool day - 3:50pm.
Carla Jackett

Spotted Harrier Cornwallis, corner Cupitts Lane/Cornwallis Road
Saw one Spotted Harrier, Brown Falcon & flock about 200 Straw-necked Ibis
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

White-breasted Woodswallows Mehi River, Moree
One of my very few sightings of a small flock of White-breasted Woodswallows in the Moree township was today. They are quite rare in winter, and have been absent in the past month.
Curtis Hayne and Ainslee Lines

Superb Parrot, Eastern Osprey, Golden Whistler, Tawny Grassbird Moree Common
First sighting of Superb Parrots in Moree (itself - township so new for site). 4 Superb Parrots were observed flying over (3 males, 1 female). Also sighted was a female Golden Whistler which are generally rare in the area. The Eastern Ospreys weren't seen there but just north along 'Chinamans Lane' a single Eastern Osprey was observed flying over. As usual, Tawny Grassbirds were commonly found. 2 Black-shouldered Kites were seen mating. 60 busy Pink-eared Ducks were seen amongst other ducks. 2 Black-fronted Dotterels (second record for the site in over ten years) were also seen. Common Blackbirds are also moving their way into more wooded areas (instead of home gardens) as a few were seen.
Curtis Hayne and Ainslee Lines

Fri 5 Jul Black Kite Clarence Valley Waste Management Facility, South Grafton
150+ Black Kites spiralling up above the facility late afternoon after closing time. The pits are covered at night so the birds may have been departing for the night as the food supply had been temporarily removed. A poor photo of part of the flock is attached.
Greg Clancy

Eastern Ospreys, Grey & Brown Goshawk, White-breasted Woodswallow, Singing Honeyeater Farm Property, 10km North West of Moree, NSW (near Ashley)
We had a great day, birds recorded on a farm property, just south of Ashley on the Gwydir River. A pair of Eastern Osprey were seen perched on the Carole Creek Regulator before flying down the Gwydir River. They came back, being harassed by Whistling & Black Kites, Australian Ravens and Torresian Crows. A Brown Goshawk followed by 2 Grey Goshawks were seen in riverine vegetation along the Gwydir River. 2 Australasian Shovelers and 150+ Pink-eared Ducks were seen. 250+ Australian Pelicans were seen bunched up on the edge of a large farm dam. Gull billed & Caspian Tern numbers were very low. White-breasted Woodswallows were also seen and they are quite rare in winter. Spotted Bowerbird, Singing Honeyeater, Olive-backed Oriole and House Sparrow were seen in Ashley itself which weren't at the property.
Curtis Hayne and Ainslee Lines

Eastern Barn Owl Freeman's Reach, Hawkesbury
Gorrick's Lane 9 p.m. on power lines
David Potter

Thu 4 Jul Sooty Oystercatcher Dee Why
One bird on the rocks this morning. Not seen in this location before. .
Judy Clark

Blue-billed Duck Bundanoon
I was thrilled to see 4 BBDs on a dam by Shangri la Road very late this afternoon. A male was in eclipse plumage. Not a species I've seen many times in over 25 years of birding. Bird 153 for home!
Lorne Johnson

Bell Miner Eulah Creek, 20 km east of Narrabri 2390
(Probably just a single) Bell Miner, together with a mob of Noisy Miners, came to feed in flowering lemon-scented gumtrees and ironbarks in our garden this afternoon. The closest we have ever seen a Bell Miner is at Dungowan, about 20-30 km south-east of Tamworth. No photo today, did not even see the bird(s), but the ID is certain - my wife and I both heard the unmistakable call 3x.
Michael Dahlem

Spotted Harrier, Tawny Frogmouth Sydney Olympic Park
Spotted Harrier (1) Seen over the path to the ferry, next to Woo-la-ra. Being pursued by Ravens & Magpies. Photographed [not terribly well!] Tawny Frogmouth (2) roosting near the road crossing for Hill Road at the end of Narrawang Wetlands. Photographed.
Jenny Stiles

Diamond Doves Whittaker's Lagoon, Moree
Although Diamond Doves aren't unusual in the area, a high number of 20 Diamond Doves were seen foraging on a part of a dirt road near the lagoon.
Curtis Hayne

Buff-banded rail White's Creek Wetland, Annanndale, Sydney inner west
sunning itself on a cool morning in the tiny White's Creek Wetland - rarely reported in the inner west (often reported from Botanic Gardens in CBD)
Andrew Taylor

Eastern Osprey Burns Bay Reserve, Riverview, Sydney
Pair of Ospreys flying between boat poles and fishing on the bay. Every single morning during May there was one bird. Looks like the same bird came back with its mate.
Fatih Sam

Wed 3 Jul White-necked Heron, Straw-necked Ibis, Cattle Egret Hassall Grove, cnr Richmond Road, Rooty Hill Road North
The wet weather has softened many grassed areas/causeways leading to larger flocks and a greater variety of ibis and heron.
Mark Fuller

Spotted Quail-thrush Blue Mountains NP (Shaws Ridge, Winmalee)
Female Spotted Quail-thrush seen at 1pm at edge of the trail. It sat a few metres away under a small bush in full view. We watched each other for about a minute or two with time for me to get photos. After it walked away I heard the soft, high-pitched calls of this species.
Robert James Sinclair

Freckled & Pink-eared Duck, Australian Shoveler, Wedge-tailed Eagle Central Coast Wetlands, Tuggerah
16 birders spent 10.45-13.15 at the Central Coast Wetlands. Highlights were 23 Freckled Duck, 32 Australian Shovelers, 5+ Pink-eared Ducks, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles, a White-bellied Sea-eagle, 2 Swamp Harriers, 2 Whistling Kites and a Black-shouldered Kite. 360 Straw-necked Ibis and 72 Australian White Ibis, 36 Black Swans & 73 Masked Lapwings, added a bit of colour to the other White-necked Herons, spoonbills and egrets present. A group of 4 Southern Emu-wrens were seen in the Pioneer Ck wetlands, Black-winged Stilts & Black-fronted Dotterels were also seen.
Alan Morris & 15 members of CCG Birding NSW

Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Tawny Grassbird, Collared Sparrowhawk McPherson Rd Swamp, Tuggerah
16 birders spent an hour at this wetland 8.30-9.30 am, highlights were 14 Freckled Duck, 12+ Pink-eared Duck, a Collared Sparrowhawk flew across the wetland, there were 2 Intermediate Egrets and 1 White-necked Heron, 4+ Golden-headed Cisticolas and 1 Tawny Grassbird showed well. Both Black-shouldered and Whistling Kites were seen. 38 species recorded.
Alan Morris & 15 members CCG Birding NSW

Magpie Goose Berkeley
Magpie Goose (3) These birds have not been seen in the illawarra since 1900
David and Michelle Rower with Illawarra Birders

Double-barred Finch Ramsgate Scarborough Park
2 Double-barred Finches near fence of baseball oval behind Darrell Lea factory
Oliver Williams

Tue 2 Jul Straw-necked Ibis Bundanoon township
40 Straw-necked Ibis flew over home late in the afternoon. I've not seen that many here before.
Lorne Johnson

Eastern Barn Owl (juvenile) Castlereagh
Last night, while walking my dogs I could hear the constant begging calls of a young owl. Tonight I was lucky and found it.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Rose Robin, Peregrine Falcon Ourimbah Ck Rd
Sightings this morning included a male Rose Robin and Peregrine Falcon, the later a 'property first'.
John Weigel

Great Egret Talara Road, Gymea NSW 2227
This (juvenile?) Great Egret looked lost in front of a residence in Gymea. I am curious if bird was displaced due to heavy rain over the past few weeks. It did not flee when I approached it. I was uncertain what I should do, whether I should intervene e.g. call Wires or leave it alone. Common Mynas were swooping it continuously. The egret flew off after a few minutes towards Kirrawee, an Australian Magpie flew after it and began swooping it as it flew away. It sounds like this bird is the same as previous sightings over the last few days.
Chana Imsirovic

Buff-banded Rail, Black Falcon, Peregrine Falcon, Tawny Grassbird Pallamallawa, NSW
Observations were made in and around the village with a total of around 80 species. A single Black Falcon was seen perched up high in a River Red Gum, but its presence was uninvited, according to the large numbers of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and Little Corellas. A single Peregrine Falcon and Spotted Harrier were also seen in the outskirts of the village. A Buff-banded Rail was identified by its call from a nearby ephemeral wetland. Like normal, I haven't been reporting Tawny Grassbirds because they are so common, just to notify, 2 were seen and heard. There were also Zebra, Double-barred, Plum-headed and Red-browed Finches as usual but less in numbers. A pair of each, Eastern Rosella, Musk Lorikeet and Australian King Parrot were also seen as well as calling Pied Currawongs.
Curtis Hayne

Pacific Baza St Ives
Heard and saw one Baza getting mobbed by Noisy Miners, Magpies, just now. Heard two Bazas yesterday. All sightings from around Dalrymple Hay reserve and I'm very surprised that the Bazas are here again, especially in winter
Arnie Hollyman

Mon 1 Jul Peregrine Falcon, Common Diving Petrel, Fairy Prion Tacking Point Lighthouse, Port Macquarie
With Peter West and Sue Proust observed several Fairy Prions and approximately four Common Diving Petrels from the Light-house.. A Peregrine Falcon then appeared, swooping firstly at a Fairy Prion, which it missed, before it then swooped again, this time striking a flying Common Diving Petrel which it carried back to shore.
Tim Morris

White-faced Storm-petrel, Southern Giant-petrel, Campbell Albatross Terrigal Haven Pelagic
Only managed to get 20 nm offshore (10 nm from the shelf). Had some good birds regardless. Two White-faced Storm-petrels, one Southern Giant-petrel, two Campbell, 15-20 Black-browed, several Shy and Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross, two Brown Skuas and hundreds of Fairy Prions.
Tim Faulkner

Turquoise Parrot, White-backed Swallow Trap Yard Dam, Western Road, in the Pilliga north of Baradine
2 Turquoise Parrots flew over and 3 White-backed Swallows perched above Trap Yard Dam.
Steve Edwards

Powerful Owl Corner of Fiona Road & Burns Road South, Beecroft
At 2:30 am this morning 1 Powerful Owl.
Steve Edwards

Sun 30 Jun Rockwarbler Morton National Park (Bundanoon Sector)
A lone Rockwarbler at Bonnie View, at the end of Winterfest's 'Birding for Beginners' bash, was most welcome. Everyone had crippling views. The bird got within a few feet of one birder, then jumped on top of another birder's 4WD to pick at insects! This bird had discoloration on one side of its face, below its eye, giving the bird a monarch-like patch. A skin concern?
Lorne Johnson

Pacific Baza Mitchells Pass, Glenbrook
2 Pacific Baza, 8 Brown Cuckoo-Dove and 8 Olive-backed Oriole, Mitchells Pass, Glenbrook.
Chris Chafer

Wandering Whistling- Ducks Broadwater Cattai
8 Wandering Whistling- Duck
Keith Brandwwod CBOC

Red-kneed Dotterel Macksville Sewage Treatment Works
2 birds seen by 15 members of Bellingen Birders on their monthly outing. An unusual species for the area.
Richard Jordan

Glossy Black-Cockatoo Umina Beach
Posting on behalf of someone with permission. One male bird on the road and power line outside house on Calypta Rd, Umina. Rest of flock (four birds) observing from nearby tree.
Rebecca Citroni

Sat 29 Jun Sooty Owls (2) Wanganui, near Mullumbimby. Private property.
A single, brief 'bomb' call about 8.15pm alerted me to Sooty Owl outside the house, so I went out for a closer listen (no intention to spotlight) and it became apparent that two Owls, very close by, were involved in some very vigorous vocalising, quite close together (possibly the same tree!). About 20 minutes of 'debating' occurred as they went from one large tree to another 'trilling' and squeaking all the while. Maybe two males in disputed territory? Great entertainment on a (lately rare) clear night!
Steve Brooking

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Pilliga Scrub, Timmallallie National Park
Seen several times near the Sculptures in the Park camping ground
Greg Roberts

Fri 28 Jun Regent Bowerbird and Pacific Baza Tweed Heads - Boyds Bay walk
A female Regent Bowerbird seen in a Norfolk Island pine tree at the far end of the walk around mid day. 2 Pacific Baza perched in a tree near the big fig tree.
John Goldie

Little Shearwater (requires NSW ORAC submission), Common Diving-Petrel, Slender-billed Prion Bherwerre Beach, Booderee National Park
1 Little Shearwater and 46 Common Diving-petrels freshly beachwashed along 7.5km of shoreline. Also numbers of Fairy and Slender-billed Prions.
Martin Schulz

Birdline New South Wales is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and hosted by Eremaea Birds.