birding-aus

Night Parrot interview this morning

Subject: Night Parrot interview this morning
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 17:48:18 +1000
Hi Andrew,

I've noticed many times, that individual birds within a species can react very
strongly to a whistle, while at other times it seems to make them go quiet.

This usually coincides with seasonal context differences. Golden Whistlers
respond very well to a whistle in spring, but a calling young bird that has
dispersed tends to go quiet after hearing another bird call.

It strongly suggests that such birds suppress their calling to avoid the ire of
another bird sounding territorial (usually the most played call is a
territorial call).

In the case you quote regarding to the Night Parrot reports - the different
response to call is most likely due to difference in seasonal context,
territory status, maturity of the calling bird or a combination of all these.

No doubt others will be able to suggest other reasons why this could be so.

Allan Richardson
Morisset NSW