birding-aus

BARC Checklist

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: BARC Checklist
From: David James <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 23:28:28 -0700 (PDT)
Following the surprise release of the BirdlifeAustralia Checklist (BLI
sequence) today, I thought I should mention that a revised version of the BARC
Australian Checklist (IOC sequence) is planned for release late this week or
next week. It is not ideal to have different lists, but since this 4th revision
of the BARC list is 98% complete we will still release it as planned.  We will
add an explanation to the introduction about why BARC uses the IOC checklist
for its purposes.

The BARC checklist will contain 6 new species for Aus (Purple Heron, Eurasian
Wigeon, Japanese Sparrowhawk, Chinese Sparrowhawk, Mugimaki Flycatcher and
(formally accepted) Lesser Black-backed Gull). Also, Lesser Sooty Owl will be
restored to a full species. There are some changes to honeyeater taxonomy and a
few minor corrections as well.

The BLA Checklist has columns to the right for comparing it with Christidis &
Boles 2008, IOC and Clements which is very helpful. At a glance I have noticed
about 35 differences at species level between the BLA and BARC checklists. Some
of these are related to taxonomy (BLI v IOC), some to acceptance of the
establishment of introduced species, and some to the acceptance of records of
vagrant species.

Cheers,
David James
Sydney