birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 24 Jun 2013 06:46:52 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 23 Jun 2013.

Sun 23 Jun Strange Finch, Northern Shoveller Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
An odd-looking finch seen on the western side of the Borrow Pits. I have seen this bird once before on the 20/12/2011 in the same place. It looks like some sort of hybrid with an European Goldfinch. Northern Shoveller seen on the western side of Lake Borrie again.
Kevin Bartram

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Corner of Plenty Rd & Sylvester Grove, Preston
2 seen feeding in an eucalypt at a service station. These are the first I've seen in Preston.
Kevin Bartram

White-bellied Sea-eagle Devilbend Reservoir
The Sea Eagles were active this morning soaring above the reserve worrying the other active birds. The cold morning kept the small birds quiet but the Eagles seemed keen to find their breakfast
Tim Van Leeuwen

Sat 22 Jun Fan-tailed Cuckoo Werribee Open Range Zoo
Fan-tailed Cuckoo (1) Calling incessantly
Paul Rose

Sat 22 Jun Speckled Warbler, Scarlet Robin, Red-capped Robin, Flame Robin, Rose Robin, Eastern Yellow Robin Woodlands Historic Park (Greenvale)
One of the only places I know off around Melbourne where you can see 5 species of Robin in the one area, pink robin sighted this time and was a male, other robins prolific as usual and after some searching came across the speckled warbler again to the delight of all that ventured out! Hopefully a new tick for most!
Philip Peel

Sat 22 Jun Swift Parrot, White-naped Honeyeater, Striated Thornbill Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
Swift Parrot (2): In tall eucalypt outside dryland aviary in late afternoon. White-naped Honeyeater: Small flock on loop road. Our first record at Serendip in more than two years. Striated Thornbill: On loop road near windmill, with Weebills. Our first record of this species at Serendip.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Broad-billed sandpiper Lake Connewarre Wildlife Reserve (Lake Connewarre)
Winter wader count this morning revealed a beautifully plumaged broad-billed sandpiper,1 overwintering golden plover, 1 red knot , 200+ double banded plovers among the 13 species of waders seen. 4 gull-billed terns are unusual here.(photo BBS strictly record shot only)
John Newman & Trevor Lumb

Fri 21 Jun Black-tailed Godwit, Red-necked Avocet (600+) Cheetham Wetlands (Altona Meadows)
Birdlife Australia Survey for Melbourne Water. Two Black-tailed Godwit in basic plumage were found roosting amongst teal on a sandbar at Laverton Creek mouth. Also here was a flock of 550+ Red-necked Avocet, with a further 50+ inside the wetlands, over 50 Pink-eared Duck and around 40 Aus. Pied Oystercatchers amongst the 100s of Grey & Chestnut Teal. Inside the wetlands we counted 95 Double-banded Plover; numbers have dropped from 145 on 19th May.
Steve Davidson & David Richardson

Fri 21 Jun Bassian Thrush Eastern Park and Botanical Gardens, Geelong
Bassian Thrush (1) 1 foraging under leafy cover in botanical gardens. Also Golden Whistler, Gang-gang Cockatoo, Eastern Spinebill. No sightings of Pink Robin today but I heard the soft contact call a couple of times.
Russell Woodford

Black Falcon Balliang
Continuing this weeks recent observations of Black Falcons in the Bacchus Marsh/Rowsley area, today I observed 2 including one in the attached photo at a fire in a farmer's paddock on the corner of Davis Road and Bacchus Marsh-Balliang Rd, Balliang. A Wedge-Tailed Eagle also patrolled above the fire.
David Whelan

Blue-faced Honeyeater Melbourne Zoo, Royal Park
When this bird was first sighted at Melbourne Zoo and reported some time ago by myself, it was checked to see if it was a collection bird. It was not. I was asked this at the time and said that it was definitely not a MZ bird. I have kept the Wild Bird list at MZ for many years along with the Curator of Birds, the list goes back at least 50 years and is taken very seriously. We do not report birds unless we are 100% sure that they are not from our collection. The Curator of Birds and myself are sure that the bird that is being sighted again in Royal Park and MZ, is a wild bird. If you have any information about our collection to the contrary, we would be delighted to hear about it.
Deb Crosby

Thu 20 Jun Brown Quail The Briars
Single bird spotted scatching about on mound by track intersection near Chechingurk Hide. Red eye and dark feather markings clear once it got in the light.
James Peake.

African Collared (Barbary) Dove Hampton Park
One Barbary Dove was sighted today while doing a Melbourne Water survey at the sight called "Kilberry ". It was amongst Spotted Doves on the back fence of a house east of the transmission lines and north of the Kirkwood Cres walking track. We also sighted this bird on the survey of 20th May.
Geoff Russell & Robert Wright

Black Falcon Rowsley Valley
Refer to my previous report. Photo of Black Falcon attached.
David Whelan

Black Falcon, Spiny-Cheeked Honeyeater Rowsley Valley
Lone Black Falcon seen at 12:40Hrs today, circling, soaring and gliding above the Rowsley Valley. Unsuccessful stoop at prey and continued circling and soaring covering large area. Observed for 40mins. Spiny-Cheeked Honeyeater (2). Very close to the proposed site of The Yaloak South Windfarm.
David Whelan.

Wed 19 Jun Spotted Harrier Elwood
A Spotted Harrier flew over Elwood at about 80m above ground and then out over the water off Point Ormond and over me as I was kayaking. It then circled a couple of times and flew off toward Brighton. Also of interest is a Subantarcic Fur Seal nearby resting on the St Kilda Breakwater. It has been feeding in the area and returning to the breakwater to rest. Seems like will be hanging around for a while.
Gio Fitzpatrick

Black Falcon Rowsley Valley
Spent an hour and a half driving up and down the Rowsley Valley today. At 14:30 hrs observed a Black Falcon soaring and gliding approx. 300-400 metres from the site of the proposed turbines at Yaloak South Wind Farm on a segment of land known as The Bluff.
David Whelan

Scarlet Honeyeater Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park
Single bird at Magenta Mine this afternoon, just east of the dam.
Tim Dolby

Blue-winged Parrot Cape Woolamai State Faunal Reserve
On the northern side of the cape, 100 metres west of the quarry turn-off, a flock of thirteen Blue winged parrots feeding with Little Wattlebirds in the banksia grove.Our first sighting of these birds in over 17 years birding on the island, normally we see them around the flats of Bass landing.
Derek & Sally Whitehead

White-fronted Honeyeater Sandon, south of Newstead
One, possibly two individuals in home garden along Green Gully Creek. My first record for the Newstead area in ~ 30 years.
Geoff Park

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary
A Shining Bronze calling early on a very cold but sunny morning.
David Coutts

Tue 18 Jun Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Red-capped Robin, Flame Robin Deep Lead, McCanns Dam Picnic Area
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater (6) (Personal first for area) Red-capped Robin (4) Flame Robin (2) 11 Species of honeyeater in total: White-plumed (many), White-naped (several flocks), Brown-headed (ditto), Black-chinned (2), Tawny-crowned (6), Yellow-faced (a few), Fuscous (a few), Yellow-tufted (1), Eastern Spinebill (3), Red Wattlebird (many), Noisy Miner (a few)
Tristan Kennedy (1733)

Tue 18 Jun Pink eared Duck, Freckled duck Lake Lorne, Drysdale
There is a very large number of Pink-eared Ducks, probably in excess of 400 and also 200 plus Freckled Ducks currently on Lake Lorne.
Rod Corinaldi

Southern Boobook (or Morepork) Hamilton
One roosting in my back garden for over two weeks now. Confirmed as Tasmanian species - Morepork, now split from Southern Boobook.(Moderator's note: not all taxonomic lists follow this split, for example Clements (the taxonomy Eremaea uses) does not, but the IOC list does recognise the split, MR)
Steve Clark

Mon 17 Jun Swift Parrots Muckleford
Swifties still here at Muckleford approx 12 this afternoon feeding in yellow gum.
Debbie Worland

Sun 16 Jun Ground Cuckoo-Shrike Waradgery road, Wyuna
Photo attached
Murray Chambers reportd by Simon Starr

Gilbert's Whistler Crusoe Reservoir, Bendigo
This evening I had good views of a male Gilbert's Whistler on the southern shore of the lake.
Gerry Duane

Whistling Kite Woodlands Historic Park (Back Paddock)
Whistling Kite (9) At least 9 gathered near SE boundary around 1515, soaring and perched, before dispersing.
Michael Noble

Blue-faced Honeyeater Royal Parade/Princes Park, Parkville
Single bird being harassed by Magpie Larks and a Noisy Miner (Moderator's note: this bird likely refers to an escaped bird from the nearby zoo that has been seen for some time now, MR).
Andrew Bendall

Northern Shoveller, Lewin's Rail Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Northern Shoveller was on the western side of Lake Borrie today. When we found it in the afternoon it was perched with other shovellers next to the shore, as we approached the shovellers flew off, which enabled some flight shots of the species. Also 2 Lewin's Rails seen in different places along the Little River. 1 first immature Golden Whistler seen in amongst the trees South Rd.
Kevin Bartram, Scott Baker

Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck. Truganina Swamp (Altona) 3018.
At 1445 hours, I observed 5 Freckled Ducks in the main pond, west of Bell Avenue, Altona. Also present were approximately 70 Pink-eared Ducks, numerous pairs of Australasian Shovelers, many Grey and Chestnut Teal and a few Banded Stilts and Red-necked Avocets.
Peter Gibbons.

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.