birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 17 Jun 2013 10:54:33 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 16 Jun 2013.

Sun 16 Jun Ground Cuckoo-Shrike Waradgery road, Wyuna
5 Ground Cuckoo-shrike were seen today by members of Birdlife Echuca and Birdlife Murray-Goulbourn near Wyuna, near the junction of Waradgery road and the Murray Valley Highway. Apparently the birds were seen a few days ago also.
Don Roberts, Keith Stockwell et al. ,Reported by Simon Starr

Pacific Gull ( Total of approximately 200 birds) The foreshore of Altona Beach & the Mouth of Kororoit Creek, Williamstown
At about 1500 hours, observed approximately 65 Pacific Gulls, including many juveniles on the very low tide from the mouth of Laverton Creek east along The Esplanade to just west of the Altona Pier. Shortly after observed approximately 130 Pacific Gulls, again including many juveniles, at the mouth of Kororoit Creek and offshore on the low tide. These are the largest numbers of Pacific Gulls I have observed.
Peter Gibbons.

Northern Shoveller WTP Lake Borrie NW corner
Seen with several Pink-eared Duck about 11.30am . Aust Shovellers also close by. Thanks El & Al Wright for waving!! Seen again much closer at 1.30pm behind PED on rocks in same region.
Xenia Dennett

Song Thrush Moonee Ponds Creek, West Brunswick
Heard one calling along the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail on the West Brunswick side just north of Brunswick Road. While once quite common in the area around Flemington, they have largely disappeared. This is the first one I have heard for some years.
Chris Lester

Sat 15 Jun Sooty Oystercatcher Mornington Peninsula National Park (Flinders Ocean Beach)
South of the Flinders pier, past the yacht club and around the headland at low tide should see you watching these Oystercatchers working.
Tim Van Leeuwen

Australian King-Parrot Frater Street Kew East
I've been hearing these guys on the street for a week or so,and they've been reported at the Wilson Reserve, about 500 metres over the river. Five landed in the tree in our front yard.
Bill Stent

Hooded Plover The Collonades - Phillip Island
25 Hooded Plovers in 2 groups foraging at low tide on the beach behind the airport. Adults and young . Qiute a few with flags on their legs.
Ross McGrath

Fri 14 Jun Speckled Warbler, Scarlet Robin, Red-capped Robin, Flame Robin, Rose Robin Woodlands Historic Park (Greenvale)
Went in search of the female rose robin seen lately at the dam... Heard it calling but couldn't find it between the loads of flame, scarlet and red capped Robins! I would say at least 50 flame robins seen throughout! I however did finally get my bogey bird and found and watched a speckled warbler for 15 minutes Speckled Warbler (1) Finally found it! Scarlet Robin (10) Minimum of 10 seen, both females and makes present Red-capped Robin (1) Juvenile male/ female Flame Robin (50) At least 50 seen I counted in one spot alone 7 male and 13 females foraging Rose Robin (1) Female heard calling, contact calls were unanswered
Philip Peel

Fri 14 Jun White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck Lake Lorne, Drysdale
Adult Sea-Eagle sailed through, high overhead, heading in direction of Swan Bay - a really highlight! 100s of Freckled Ducks and 100s of Pink-eared Ducks. Also a silent adult Fan-tailed Cuckoo. Many White Ibis and Straw-necked Ibis arriving to roost. 43 species in hour before sunset at this wonderful wetland.
BirdLife Australia Beach-nesting Birds Workshop Excursion per Dan Weller, Craig Morley, Neil Shelley

Northern Shoveler Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Northern Shoveler present with a handful of Aus. Shoveler in north-west corner of Lake Borrie. Also seen were 2 separate groups of 4 Brolga - the resident pair with 2 young along 29 Mile Rd, and a quartet of adults in paddock adjacent to Chirnside/Paradise Rds. Up to 16 White-necked Herons in wet paddocks along Beach Rd, and 7 Bar-tailed Godwit still present, foraging on mudflats off Little River mouth, and 12 species of raptor for the morning.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Wed 12 Jun Striated Heron Gipsy Point
Striated Heron (1) Sitting on tree across from boat ramp.
Angus Hartshorn

Tue 11 Jun Pink Robin You Yangs Western Plantations
One female Pink Robin observed at close range for 10 minutes. A very richly coloured specimen constantly shuffling its wings and very confiding..Also a winter flock of 25 White-winged Choughs and another group of 12 about 30 metres away.
Trevor Lumb

Wedge-tailed Eagle My backyard, Vermont.
Still can't believe that 3 huge Wedgies landed in my backyard today in the middle of suburbia!!! Happened just be 4pm. Black adult female with two golden youngsters probably about 10 months old. Amazing!!
Chris Field

Superb Parrot Barmah National Park
Higlight of a 3 day visit to north central Victoria. great privilege to witness 4 birds from this vulnerable species. Three males vying for the attention of one female in a ritual that suggested breeding was near. Location was precisely the same as where we found them 3 years ago Superb Parrot (4).
Hedley Earl & Irena Earl

Swift Parrot Royal Park Train Station
One, possibly two , Swift Parrots heard in this vicinity this morning, seemed to be in large trees on golf course.
Jan Flack

Mon 10 Jun Hooded Plover Wilsons Promontory National Park (Squeaky Beach)
Two adult birds initially sighted. Later three birds flew off down the beach apparently pursued by a Pacific Gull (or possibly Hoodies and gull just disturbed by same human - beach was fairly busy with fishermen and walkers)
Mike Honeyman

Malleefowl Hopetoun-Walpeup Rd
After failing to see a Malleefowl twice in 2 days on the Ouyen-Patchewollock Rd, I detoured up the Hopetoun-Walpeup Rd about 5 km north of the junction with Ouyen-Patchewollock Rd on Monday afternoon, about 3pm & saw 1 Malleefowl cross the road!
Kevin Bartram

Freckled Duck, Swift Parrot Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
Freckled Duck (4) on North Arm; Swift Parrot (18) near start of Wetland Walk. Also black-tailed native hens, but search as I might, no cormorants and only 2 white ibis.
Peter Bennet

Scarlet Robin Yarra Bend Park
There are still 5-6 Scarlet Robins in woodland by the Yarra along The Boulevard between Fairfield Pipe Bridge and Chandler Hwy. They're easy to find along the dirt track about half-way between the road and the river. Also Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and a truckload of Eastern Spinebills among the usual suspects. The woodland here is of top quality, with more undergrowth than surrounding areas.
John Gray

Sun 9 Jun Hooded Plover Norman Bay Beach, Wilson's Promontory
Single adult bird
Mike Honeyman

Spotted Quail-thrush Junction Hill, Flowerdale
Female seen on private land.
Ron Litjens

Sat 8 Jun Powerful Owl Mitcham (near the corner of Somers and Hopetoun Street)
A female calling for about 5 minutes at around 9:45 pm. I could not relocate it despite several attempts that night and over the four nights since.
Paul Peake

Redthroat, Southern Scrub-robin Wyperfeld National Park (Discovery Track), Wonga Campsite
A male & a female seen about 8.30am in some small bushes on the edge of an open area. I recall seeing them in exactly the same place 30 years ago! Also a ridiculously tame Southern Scrub-robin, constantly calling & allowing for close approach. Was still singing when I left it!
Kevin Bartram

Scarlet Honeyeater Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park (Bartleys Block)
A party of Scarlet Honeyeaters feeding in flowering gums at Bartley's Block on Saturday. Very pleasantly surprised as I had understood they were a summer migrant in Victoria. (Small numbers of Scarlet Honeyeaters have been present at this site and at a few others in NE Victoria after an irruption occurred in 2010, the population at this site seems to be doing fairly well with birds regularly seen here, MR).
Martin Stokes

Australasian Bittern Seaspray
Flushed from reeds on Merrimans Creek. First I have seen here in about 15 years of regular visits.
Tim Bawden

Fri 7 Jun Red-kneed Dotterels Jetty at Venus Bay
40 Red-kneed Dotterels I have been birding down at this location for years and never seen so many, consulted with local Bass Coast Birdos and they agreed I should report it.
Cecily Falkingham

Red-kneed Dotterel Venus Bay Jetty
40 Red-kneed Dotterels.I have been birding down at this location for years and never seen so many, consulted with local Bass Coast Birdos and they agreed I should report it.
Cecily Falkingham

Sat 1 Jun Pink-eared Duck Lakewood Lake Reserve, Knoxfield.
At least 3. Two were perched on branches in the water preening giving very clear views of their huge bills and head coloring.
Sandy Laing

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and hosted by Eremaea Birds.