birding-aus

Werakata SCA and NP - where is the Car Park?

To: Carl Weber <>, "" <>
Subject: Werakata SCA and NP - where is the Car Park?
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 23:06:54 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Carl,

The Bedroom is The Car Park! Note that from time to time it could  also be
called "The Kitchen", "The Rumpus Room" or even "The Gym"! Rubbish-dumping is
rife in that area, but the birds don't seem to mind one bit.

So you were presumably seeing the same Swifties that we've been seeing there
over the past few days. I had a dozen on Friday though. There is no blossom
here (or in the Hunter Economic Zone, which is east towards Kurri where Steve
and others have had Swifties this past fortnight) but Swift Parrots still
return here nearly every year. I wonder if they will stay on for the whole
winter this year, given that there is virtually no blossom in the area. Having
said that, there are some Stringybarks (undescribed sp., looks like E.
capitellata to me but not to the taxonomists) coming out at the Kitchener site
you visited which is of interest because we have had Regent Honeyeaters on them
in two of the past four winters up here.

It is interesting that there are virtually no lorikeets or Noisy Friarbirds in
the area. This is in stark contrast to last year when we had about 300-400
Swifties in the broader area and at least 100 Regents as well (with up to 50 at
one site). This was of course for the Spotted Gum bonanza, which also attracted
hordes of Grey-headed Flying-foxes as well. When you look at what happened on
the South Coast of NSW last year (>1000 Swifties in Spotted Gum), it really
does drive home just how productive Spotted Gum blossom must be.

Cheers
Mick