birding-aus

all the bad news

To: Ian Reid <>,
Subject: all the bad news
From: Sonja Ross <>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:17:33 +1000
Hi Ian,

I felt like that too all yesterday.

In the evening however, I was processing some photos I'd taken the previous
week for a talk at a parkland which has been developed from an old quarrying
site I think.   When I was processing one of a female Hardhead, I noticed that
there was fishing line probably coming from her bill as there was line and then
a metal sinker just showing above the water level on her breast.   That
depressed me further, but I decided to post it on a forum I belong to, to find
out if there was anyone I could contact to try to help the duck.

Someone from Queensland responded really quickly and told me to try Wildlife
Rescue Victoria.   I decided to check them out on the internet that evening
before I rang first thing in the morning.  They are a volunteer group with no
government funding, but seem to be very organised as I was able to fill in a
form on line about the duck and send it off.  I received an automatically
generated response which was very encouraging.

This morning before I could ring, I had a call from them to see if I was able
to go over to see if the duck was still there.  I told the lady it was half an
hour away, so she said she would try to send someone anyway.   A little later I
received a call from a rescuer to check which side of  a creek I had meant as
she was about to leave to look for the duck.   The weather in Melbourne was
cold, wet and windy at the time, so even if politicians don't care, there are a
lot of people out there who do care, and some who even do something about it.

I hope it makes you feel a little cheered, as it has me.

Sonja