birding-aus

Shooting in NSW NPs

Subject: Shooting in NSW NPs
From: Jim Smart <>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 07:51:11 +1100
Hello Birding-Aus people,

There is an updated map of NSW showing the National Parks in which shooting will not be allowed, which parks shooting will be allowed plus those in which shooting may be allowed in future:

http://nohunting.wildwalks.com/map

It is a Google Map and can be expanded to give detail.

In my part of the world the popular Myall Lakes National Park has been included in the shooting allowed list. This is curious because the park does not have a significant feral animal problem. There is a small group of horses that could be easily mustered and rare sightings of pigs. A stable population of dingoes keeps the cats and foxes in check. The result is a wonderful bird population. I would not be surprised to to see deer or goats appear soon.

There is a full discussion of the deer problem here:

http://theconversation.edu.au/the-protected-pest-deer-in-australia-11452

Cheers,

Jim Smart
East Maitland