birding-aus

Another bivalve victim (moderated)

To: "'Ian May'" <>
Subject: Another bivalve victim (moderated)
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:06:44 +1100
Ian,

Your arguments so far appear not to have considered the role of Animal
Ethics and Experimentation Committees (AEECs).  Apart from relevant permits
required to carry out this work from Commonwealth and State environment
agencies, cannon-netting and wader-banding teams also need project approval,
and are subject to regular project review, by AEECs. A typical AEEC
comprises animal scientists, vets and representatives from the general
community who have expertise in animal welfare.  An AEEC is independent of
the research team seeking project approval and government agencies that
provide permits for the capture, handling and release of animals. AEECs take
into consideration the risks to the welfare of animals, the actions that are
required to minimise those risks, the actions to be undertaken in the event
of injury or mortality of animals, the capacity of the researchers to take
those actions, and the experience and competency of the researchers who are
applying for AEEC approval.  If the principal investigator of the
wader-banding team doesn't agree to the conditions set by their AEEC, then
he/she would not be given approval for his/her project on animal welfare
grounds.

The principal investigator (i.e. the permit holder) has to report to his/her
AEEC on animal welfare issues associated with the project on a regular
basis, either annually or more frequently (e.g. at the end of a major phase
of the project).  As part of the reporting the principal investigator of the
research team has to provide information about:

(a) the numbers of animals trapped, handled and released,
(b) the numbers of animals that may have been injured, unduly stressed or
killed,
(c) issues identified that may be impacting on the welfare of the animals
being studied,
(d) actions undertaken to reduce adverse impacts on individual animals, and
(e) (if appropriate) recommend additional animal welfare actions that should
be adopted in the future in similar projects.

The AEEC relies on the honesty of the permit holder when providing that
information, just as the scientific and wider community relies on the
honesty of reporting of the scientific outcome of the investigation.

If an AEEC concludes that a researcher has not considered the welfare of the
study animals to the AEEC's satisfaction, then it will not renew or provide
a new permit to that researcher until he/she can convince the AEEC that
he/she will not re-offend.

Given that canon-netting and wader banding/flagging is an ongoing activity,
one would have to assume that AEECs that review these projects are satisfied
that research groups engaged in these activities are fulfilling the
requirements of their permits with respect to animal welfare.

Regards,
Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW