birding-aus

Hobby or Peregrine?

Subject: Hobby or Peregrine?
From: Harry Nyström <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:27:41 +0200
Hi everyone,

I have to say I feel exactly the same as Paul. At least to me, there is a
huge difference between personal experience and knowledge you gain by
reading books. For example size and shape differences (i.e. jizz) do not
show very clearly in the field guides and usually one needs to see enough
e.g. both of two similar species to start to understand the subtle
differences between them, which on the other hand would seem very clear to
an experienced birder.

I have a saying that I keep repeating to birders: "Remember that we have
all been beginners once." With that I mean we all needed to practise our
skills at some point to learn the art of birding. And I'm pretty sure we
all appreciated the help from more experienced birders. For example, in my
teenage years, I remember struggling over the identification of Goshawk and
Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Hobby and Peregrine(!), different waders of all
ages, different sounds and songs, gulls etc. Now those things seem fairly
easy and straightforward to me, but I needed to see enough of them to start
to spot the differences.

I have learned a lot from more experienced birders in my youth, and now
that I'm one of the more experienced ones, I am more than happy to help
people by e.g. pointing out ID details when I can.

By the way, here is what I answered directly to Neil (didn't remember to
use the "reply to all" feature):

"Hi Neil,

To my opinion, the bird is definitely a Peregrine.

Note the stocky body and broad wings, and that you can't really see any
rufous coloring on the underside plumage. There are also differences in the
color and the shape of the black hood. If one hasn't seen a lot of them,
they tend to be tricky to tell apart, but along with some experience one
starts to notice the difference in the jizz even from afar.

Cheers from Finland,
-Harry"