birding-aus

FW: Unidentified bird.

To: "Judith Hoyle" <>, "BirdingAus" <>
Subject: FW: Unidentified bird.
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:26:09 +1100
Does she know the Australasian Figbird and Olive-backed Oriole? They are the only species that come to mind at present.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide
PO Box 63 Coutts Crossing NSW 2460
0266493153 0429601960

-----Original Message----- From: Judith Hoyle
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:04 PM
To: BirdingAus

Hello Birding Ausers

I would be interested in your opinions of the description below. I spoke to Coral this afternoon to go through details of her sighting. She is catagoric that the birds she saw were not Dollarbirds which was my guess, especially given the call description. With the exception of a thin black border around the wings the colour on the top of the wings was a uniform iridescent green colour similar to the speculum of the black duck in certain lights. She did not observe anything that resembled a 'dollar' in the wings of the birds in flight. The bill was approximately an inch long (she was unable to determine the shape as she did not have her binoculars with her) and yellow or light orange. She observed them on Wednesday 23 January, high up in the mangroves/she-oaks at Twin Waters on the north shore of the Maroochy River, near the spit.

The description has me stumped!  Any suggestions???

Kind regards

Judith