birding-aus

FW: Unidentified bird.

To: BirdingAus <>
Subject: FW: Unidentified bird.
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:04:25 +0000
Hello Birding Ausers

I would be interested in your opinions of the description below.  I spoke to
Coral this afternoon to go through details of her sighting.  She is catagoric
that the birds she saw were not Dollarbirds which was my guess, especially
given the call description. With the exception of a thin black border around
the wings  the colour on the top of the wings was a uniform iridescent green
colour similar to the speculum of the black duck in certain lights. She did not
observe anything that resembled a 'dollar' in the wings of the birds in flight.
 The bill was approximately an inch long (she was unable to determine the shape
as she did not have her binoculars with her) and yellow or light orange.  She
observed them on Wednesday 23 January, high up in the mangroves/she-oaks at
Twin Waters on the north shore of the Maroochy River, near the spit.

The description has me stumped!  Any suggestions???

Kind regards

Judith

Subject: Re: Unidentified bird.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:22:11 +1100

Hello Judith.

Thank you for your reply.  Yes I do have a field guide but I couldn’t
identify these birds.

Briefly, they were mainly a teal colour with a black boarder around the
wings when in flight, making it look like they had a teal window in each
wing.  The front of the throat (small bib) was a dark grey.  Size
was  a bit bigger than a drongo and they had a shortish tail when
sitting.  In flight the wings were sharp and pointed with an almost out of
proportion wide span.  They had a raspy call.  The beak was yellow or
light orange.  They were in an area of thick large mangroves and she
oaks.

I had a friend with me and she keeps asking me if I have found out about
those beautiful teal birds.  It was the bright colour of the birds that I
first noticed and I knew of nothing in our Slater that would match it.

That is about as much as I can remember.  Is it of any help?

My phone numbers are 07 54453894  and 0458 57 4917 and I am happy for
you to call any time.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Coral Seaborn.