birding-aus

Tanzanians need help with Frigatebird id

To: Mick Roderick <>, Mike Carter <>, Steve Clark <>, "" <>
Subject: Tanzanians need help with Frigatebird id
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:19:56 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

I agree with Mike and David that the bird is most likely a Great Frigatebird.
Re Mick's comment: I believe that the 'axillary spur business' has caused many
Great Frigates on Michaelmas Cay to be misID'd as Lesser Frigates (yes, I know
that there are Lesser Frigates, too).
Re David's comment on Magnificent Frigate on Cape Verde: Sadly, to my
knowledge, there are only three to six birds left in that relict population.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW