birding-aus

Tanzanians need help with Frigatebird id

To: "Steve Clark" <>, <>
Subject: Tanzanians need help with Frigatebird id
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:59:07 +1100
In case he missed this posting, I've forwarded this request to David James who knows this group well having lived for three years+ on Christmas Island where all three Australian species breed. David wrote a paper on their ID published in 2004 in BirdingASIA 1, 22-38.

However here are a few comments from me. It is a sub-adult bird but because it appears to have a wholly white head lacking any tawny colouration, it is not a fresh juvenile. The white spurs seem to me to be restricted to the sides of the breast not extending onto the underwing which suggests to me that it is not a Lesser Frigatebird. The bill doesn't look long enough for a Christmas Frigatebird so assuming that it is of Indian Ocean origin, (Ascension Island is in another ocean without a tropical waters link), my not very confident vote would be for Great Frigatebird.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136