birding-aus

Splits, lumps, taxonomies, check-lists, whatever.

To: Wedderburn Birding <>
Subject: Splits, lumps, taxonomies, check-lists, whatever.
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 10:48:26 +1100
Bruce

I guess it comes down to what you mean by an "official" list - as you say
the Aus birding community seems to use 3 different lists at the moment -
those who stick with C&B, those who use IOC (which is my preference for the
reasons you state - and note it is also used by BARC so if you find any
rarities you will need to use IOC!) and those who use Clements. Whilst I
guess eventually those in the first group will migrate to one of the other
two, it seems likely that there will always be a difference between the IOC
camp and the Clements camp.

So what is an "official" list anyway? Is it used by a Government department
- and if so is there agreement amongst all levels of government? Or is it
promulgated by a birding organisation - we have one large organisation
(BirdLife - and of course BirdLife International have their own list as
well so that could well come into the equation!) but quite a lot of medium
sized ones who may well have their own equally valid views on what is to be
used.