birding-aus

Splits, lumps, taxonomies, check-lists, whatever.

To: "'Helen Larson'" <>, "'Robert Inglis'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Splits, lumps, taxonomies, check-lists, whatever.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 15:01:41 +1100
What a good answer. I also think it relates a lot to what has happened in
time to all the other species that were close. Think of a platypus. That is
unique in so many aspects. We can easily create a dividing line around that
and call it a species, genus and family. Then the nearest others are
Echidnas. However at earlier points in time there were other species that
were transitioning into platypuses. Back then defining the one species as
platypus would have been difficult. It is the fact that the other
transitional ones no longer exist at this point in time that make it easy in
most cases and why we can put names to most organisms. The same applies to
humans and everything else.

My earlier response was of course not an attempt to deny the concept of
species, which works most of the time, but only that we would not find a
viable and universally accepted definition.

Philip