birding-aus

Odd things at Melbourne zoo

To: Philip Veerman <>,
Subject: Odd things at Melbourne zoo
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:10:20 +1100
Hi Philip,
The Pink Cockatoo/Eclectus pair in Melbourne Zoo have been keeping company for years. I don't think the male Eclectus has a hope.

Years ago, there was a male Satin Bowerbird complete with bower in the Great Flight Aviary, as well as a green bird or two. A second male Satin BB lived in the planting just outside the Aviary, on the east side, apparently at liberty. I asked a keeper - apparently the two male birds fought so much they had to be separated, and the loose male would not leave the society of the captive ones. We saw them trying to fight through the wire. We were told that it would be very easy to catch the loose bird when there was a suitable aviary to put him in. I have also seen a male Golden Pheasant outside an aviary furiously trying to beat up another on the inside - as aggressive as fighting cocks.
That was many years ago.
I agree that many visitors are very careless about the double door system. And it's not only about keeping captives in - it's also about keeping the House Sparrows and occasional Tree Sparrows out.

Anthea Fleming