birding-aus

Bird of the week: a-rabinybi – Beach Stone-Curlew - post at The Northern

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>, NT Birds group <>, COG list <>
Subject: Bird of the week: a-rabinybi – Beach Stone-Curlew - post at The Northern Myth
From: Bob Gosford <>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 09:37:53 +0930
All,

Just a quick note to advise of my recent post at my Crikey.com blog, *The
Northern Myth* on my recent Bird of the week: a-rabinybi – Beach
Stone-Curlew.

A teaser ...

Yanyuwa traditional owners established the li-Anthawirriyarra (people of
the sea) Sea Ranger Unit as a means for managing their vast estate. The
rangers are employed to monitor and manage heritage sites such as Macassan
camps; monitor and manage turtle and dugong populations and survey, map and
eradicate feral animals.

<http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/files/2012/10/Beach-Stone-curlew.jpg>

A few weeks ago I spent three days on West Island, one of the Sir Edward
Pellew group of islands in the southern Gulf of Carpentaria. I was the
guest of the li- Anthawirriyarra Sea Ranger Unit at their annual
Mamadthamburu Turtle Camp project, which is itself part of the Yanyuwa
Indigenous Protected
Area.<http://www.environment.gov.au/indigenous/ipa/pubs/fs-yanyuwa.pdf>

You can see the rest here:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2012/10/24/bird-of-the-week-a-rabinybi-beach-stone-curlew/