birding-aus

25/10/2012, Wandering Tattler at Caloundra, SE Qld?

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: 25/10/2012, Wandering Tattler at Caloundra, SE Qld?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:04:52 +1000
My last effort at a topic on BirdingAus was met with some disapproval being
considered by some as being “off-topic” or, by others, as being too demanding
of accuracy in reporting sightings. So, I hope this new topic meets with
general approval.

Yesterday, 25  October, I visited one of my favourite bird-photography sites on
the Sunshine Coast in SE Queensland specifically to look for Wandering
Tattlers. Almost on arrival I discovered a juvenile tattler in the exact same
spot (and within days of the same date) where I found a juvenile Wandering
Tattler in 2010. It is at about this time of the year and in this location that
I usually find the first of the Wandering Tattlers which have travelled there
from their breeding grounds in the northern hemisphere. So, it was not a real
surprise to find this bird at that spot and it was not a surprise to see that
it was a juvenile. The location is perfect Wandering Tattler habitat and it has
been my experience that juveniles often arrive before returning adults.
Over an hour or so I was able to get a good number of good quality images and
also observed a second, identical, tattler burst onto the scene, pick a fight
with the first bird and then disappear.
Considering the location and the date I automatically assumed the bird I was
photographing was a Wandering Tattler.
However..............on opening the first image at home on my PC I immediately
had second thoughts.
This bird, to my observation, had characteristics of both tattler species with
more characteristics of one rather than the other.
So what was it?

I consulted my shorebird gurus (the two people I respect most in regards to
things concerning all birds) and they confirmed my thoughts.

I am quite satisfied I know which tattler the bird is but I thought I would put
it out to the BirdingAus public for their perusal and opinions.
I am also quite confident that this is a bird related topic and is more than
eligible to be discussed on this forum. It does suggest that there needs to be
a high degree of accuracy in determining a proper identification but I am sure
that genuine birdwatchers would appreciate that, in the case of tattlers, a
high degree of accuracy is demanded.
So, I have placed an image of the bird in question on a page on my website and
I invite everyone to make an identification.
To see that image go to
http://www.photos-n-guides.com/html/tattler_25_october_2012.html
(The long way to that page is to start at the “Bits and Bobs” navigation
button; then go to the “What species is this” button; then click on the
“Wandering or Grey-tailed” link.
Note that it may be necessary to ‘refresh’ your browser view if you can’t see
the new elements on the pages involved in getting to the page with the tattler
image.)

I would be more than happy for people to communicate their thoughts, preferably
with reasons for the chosen identification, to me either directly via my email
address near the top of this page or via the BirdingAus forum.
I do reserve the right to respond to any of those thoughts, in my own time, if
I deem it appropriate. I promise to be civil in any such response.
Regardless, I will provide a ‘solution’ to the identification and a summary of
my thoughts on my identification in few day’s time.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld
Australia