birding-aus

Australian Brush-turkey in NSW

To: "Dean Portelli" <>, <>
Subject: Australian Brush-turkey in NSW
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:05:04 +1100
On the topic of Australian Brush-turkey distribution in New South Wales Ian McInnes and others observed one during the Merimbula Gould League Bird Camp in October 2007. I can't remember the exact location but it was somewhere near Merimbula, south coast NSW. I wondered if the observation involved mistaken identity, but what looks like a Brush-turkey? There is nothing really except maybe a brief glimpse of a lyrebird. The mystery was solved a few months later when a Brush-turkey was found dead on the road in the area. Whether it was a true wild bird or one that had been liberated or escaped from captivity is not known. Maybe someone on the list has information on this occurrence.

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Wildlife Guide
Coutts Crossing NSW 2460