birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 13 Aug 2012 01:31:48 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Aug 2012.

Sun 12 Aug 8 Hooded Plovers, Sooty Oystercatcher and Rufous Bristlebird Anglesea
Bristlebirds - 1 seen at Aireys Inlet Lighthouse and another at Point Addis 8 Hooded plovers also seen on the beach at Pt Roadknoght along with a Sooty Oystercatcher.
Greg and Janice McKay

Sat 11 Aug Banded Stilts, Red Necked Avocets Western treatment Plant
In amongst the hundreds of Red Necked Avocets At the Western Treatment Plant on Saturday a careful look revealed at least 30 Banded Stilts mixed in with them.
Greg and Janice McKay

Striated Pardalote Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
Striated Pardalote: Our first record of this species at Serendip in more than two years.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Brolga Intersection of Kurweeton Rd and Hamilton Hwy near Derinallum
Three brolgas sighted in flight heading south west.
Teresa O'Brien

Thu 9 Aug Pink Robin St Kilda Botanic Gardens
Pink Robin (1) female is still there. Foraging actively between rain storms. Flying from low perches to the ground, back to low perches, across the path, back and forth. At one stage even alighted on the path only 2m from me to drink or catch an insect - it was so fast I couldn't tell which. She was calling, sometimes so quickly from slightly different locations that I couldn't tell if it was just one bird or two, but I only ever saw one. In gardens near Qld Kauri, as Gio said she was most times he's seen her. Thanks Gio for your tips!
Janine Duffy

Wed 8 Aug Freckled Duck Coolart Wetlands & Homestead
7 Freckled Duck, 6 Blue-billed Duck (4 male 1 female), 47 Grey Teal, 12 Australasian Shovelers, 8 Hardhead
Brian Thomas

Tue 7 Aug Nankeen Night-Heron Southbank
Single bird seen Monday and Tuesday nights under footbridge and perched on metal steps up from river. In breeding plumage.
Debbie Lustig

Brolga Western Treatment Plant
Single bird seen at the western ed of Austin Road, adjacent to Avalon airport.
Ian Miles

Painted Button-quail You Yangs
2 adult and 2 juveniles seen near the main car park.
Dave Torr and Werribee bird group

Mon 6 Aug Brolga Camerons Road, Meredith 1' Cell
Flock of five in flooded area of a raise-bed crop on Camerons Road.
Chris Pitfield

Little Eagle Westgate Park
A Little Eagle was seen soaring overhead while undertaking our monthly bird survey in the park.
Andrew McCutcheon, Euan Moore, Christine Shelley & Rob Youl

Sun 5 Aug Black-eared Cuckoo, Gilbert's Whistler, Hooded Robin Bailieston
Black-eared Cuckoo (1), Gilbert's Whistler (2), Hooded Robin (3) in and adjacent to the Historic Reserve.
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Pink Robin Swan Lake, Phillip Island
Uncoloured bird at Swan Lake. Only second time I've seen this species at Phillip Island.
Kevin Bartram

Hutton's Shearwater, Black-browed Albatross Point Addis
Flocks of Fluttering Shearwaters also contained at least a few Hutton's Shearwaters and at least one Black-browed Albatross was in amongst several White-capped and afforded excellent views from the point.
R. Bruce Richardson

Sat 4 Aug Little Wattlebird, Eastern Barn Owl St. Leonards, Bellarine Peninsula
At least 6 Little Wattlebirds, actively feeding and calling from flowering banksias at corner of First Ave and The Esplanade. Unusual this far around the peninsula. Barn Owl (unseen by observers) flushed from one of the banksias in The Esplanade and flew to group of cypress trees on foreshore. Interesting to note that, especially in vicinity of owl, the wattlebirds were calling from under cover and not venturing to flowers at edge of foliage. Wattlebirds virtually silent after owl flew!
Craig Morley, Lachlan Manley

Osprey Lake Eildon (near Bonnie Doon)
This afternoon an Osprey seen flying over Lake Eildon near Bonnie Doon.
Ian Ashton

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.