birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 9 Jul 2012 01:31:43 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 8 Jul 2012.

Sun 8 Jul Australasian Shoveler Water Treatment Plant, South Hedland, Western Australia
Half a dozen birds seen on the water amongst many Pacific Blacks. Impossible to take a photo through the fence. Appears to be slightly outside their usual range.
Snez Plunkett

Star Finch Water Treatment Plant, South Hedland, Western Australia
3-4 adult birds and 4-6 juvenile birds sighted on & around a small dead tree right on the fenceline of the WTP; neraby area is being buldozed - not sure if this had perhaps flushed them out (haven't seen them there before - or anywhere else so far). Critically endangered?
Snez Plunkett

Fri 6 Jul Common Bronzewing Roebuck Plains Station, Broome , Western Australia
Common Bronzewing seen feeding on track on Roebuck Plains station. Photos taken. No records for the Broome area since early 90's
Broome Bird Observatory Matt Slaymaker etal

Thu 5 Jul Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo Secret Harbour, Western Australia
Calling and skipping round the scrub close to the beach.
Gary Stevens

Wed 4 Jul (Possible) Northern Pintail Erskine, Western Australia
Just a heads up that I've received a report that a Northern Pintail was seen at Erskine today - I haven't had time to chase up any more details yet, so for now I'm cautious as there has been a lot of confusion previously caused by a pale Mallard or Mallard x - this notorious "confusion duck" was still present when I was at Erskine about a month ago. However, this is roughly the sort of time the pintail turned up in 2010 & 2011, so it would be worth a check if you're in the area.
Per John Graff per Birdswa

Tue 3 Jul Star Finch Roebuck Plains Station, Broome , Western Australia
One possibly two Star Finch drinking at some water with Long-tailed Finches. Only one previous record for Broome area in late 80's / early 90's.
Chris Hassell etal

Mon 2 Jul Common Redshank Roebuck Bay Broome, Western Australia
One Common Redshank roosting with large numbers of shorebirds in Roebuck Bay at high tide. Usually get one or two over winter each year.
Adrian Boyle

Sat 23 Jun Southern Giant-Petrel Lancelin, Western Australia
Southern Giant-Petrel (1) dead all-brown-plumaged juvenile on beach north of town. How sad - my first sighting of this species.
Janine Duffy, Roger Smith

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.