birding-aus

C&B cf IOC taxonomy

To: <>
Subject: C&B cf IOC taxonomy
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 14:28:04 +1000
Hey guys, what is this with the adversarial subject line? Are these two (C&B
& IOC) in conflict, as suggested by the "vs"? Aren't we discussing a
comparison? Surely it should be "C&B cf IOC taxonomy", rather than "C&B vs
IOC taxonomy".

Oh and another very minor point, I for one am reasonably interested in
processes of speciation and how we assess the degree of separation between
populations, at this point in history and where we set a arbitrary boundary
of differentiating separate forms as species. So I think of those
discussions as interesting. Yet whilst I respect other's wishing to care but
sorry but I don't care how these things impact on individual's tallies on
tick lists. I wonder if I am alone on this.

Philip