birding-aus

C&B vs IOC taxonomy

To: "'Mike Carter'" <>, <>
Subject: C&B vs IOC taxonomy
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:12:16 +1000
Hmmm... Thanks Mike (I think!)

I actually didn't intend to act in an executive role, I actually assumed
(obviously somewhat naively) that someone had already identified the key
differences between C&B and IOC - presumably because I'd seen such analysis
provided between Clements 6.6 and IOC 3.1 - and would have such a list
handy.

My first attempt (the "feeble" one) was produced after not much more than an
hour's work, and was based on differences I could see between an extract I
did from Eremaea - nominally C&B but actually a modified Clements - and the
IOC 3.1 list.

I am certainly grateful to everyone that contributed to my initial request
and, hopefully, I'll be able to put together a complete list of differences
between the two checklists - as at a certain date and time - as you pointed
out.

I must say, that given the responses to this subject, I think that this
topic is important and of interest to a lot of us amateur birdwatchers out
there. Given the support for an IOC-based list in this country, I think that
many of us need a basic tool to help us convert our C&B lists to the new
taxonomy. I appreciate that you and the other BARC representatives have a
difficult job - made more so with this taxonomy in flux - I just hope that
the people that have contributed to my request and myself can make the
transition that little bit easier for the rest of us.

And thank you for highlighting the other changes that I had missed - I will
be sure to include thm.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria