birding-aus

Gurney's Pitta Update - Hurry if you want to see one.

To: "" <>
Subject: Gurney's Pitta Update - Hurry if you want to see one.
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:08:05 +1000
I have to agree with other posters, In Asia you generally have to give wildlife
economic value if they are to have a chance at survival.

Unfortunately this is particularly the case in lowland rainforest as being on
flatter ground it is more likely to be cleared  for palm oil plantations or
similar things.

Villagers still continue to forage and hunt in National Parks throughout
Thailand, I'm sure the more difficult terrain also helps protects many of these
areas.

I recall reading 10 years ago about the difficulties in Khao Nor Chuchi with
illegal clearing, without economic incentives that clearing will only continue.

regards,

Chris Ross

Hello Richard,

That is of course concerning about yet another species in trouble. In the
context of my response I take your message entirely on face value as being
true, as I have no information to the contrary. However I am quite concerned
that you should write to us "so if you want to see one you better hurry"
along with "and disturbance in the park are affecting the pitta in a bad
way." It seems not to be a wise suggestion. I don't see that you demonstrate
how seeing the bird (presumably without taking photos or using call
recordings) benefits the bird. Sorry but it seems logical to me that it
would be preferable to say: "so if you want to see one you should change
your mind and go do something else", if I am reading your message correctly
that disturbance is a big problem for the bird. My point is: would my life
be any better to see this particular bird species, in contrast to the many
thousands of other (common) species I haven't? No. So if it causes the bird
problems (and risks my security) I have no wish to do so, for self
indulgence.

Philip