birding-aus

Gurney's Pitta Update - Hurry if you want to see one.

To: Denise Goodfellow <>
Subject: Gurney's Pitta Update - Hurry if you want to see one.
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 11:24:48 +1000
Denise,

Kiss is not just just limited to photographers on the Thai-Malay Peninsula. It
is fairly widespread in the birding community as well as the other "collecting"
pastimes.

The blame for the decline of Gurney's Pitta must be partially borne by the
birding fraternity. The practice of paying ridiculous sums of money (by local
standards) for guiding services has turned Gurny's Pitta and many other bird
species into commodities. The money that western birders are happy to throw
around for guides etc., has enticed local peoples to behave less than ethically
to give their clients what they want. The pressure placed on local guides by
some foreign birders to come up with the goods can be intense. Makes one
ashamed to be a birdwatcher at times.

I have only been on one birding tour and have never hired a guide, and am happy
to keep it that way. I figure that if I can't find it myself just using
fieldcraft, I don't deserve it. I might not get as many "ticks" as others do,
but it is not about the quantities of birds seen, it is about the experience of
finding them.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

Sent from my iPad